Chapter twelve

It felt weird to stand next to Nathan and Daryl as Measi stared at the newly dug grave. She bit her lip as she looked at the cross as Rick spoke. She leaned her head onto Daryl's chest as he put his hand onto her shoulder, both siblings silently comforting each other. 

''It'll be tight, 14 people in one house.'' Measi slung her bag over her shoulder, her sniper tightly on her back as they were moving all of their stuff into Hershel's house.

''Don't worry about that.'' Hershel looked around for a moment. ''With the swamp hardening, the creek drying up...''

''With 50 head of cattle on the property, we might as well be ringing a damn dinner bell.'' Maggie finished for him, raising her shoulders as Measi tilted her head at the older woman. 

''She's right. We should've moved you in a while ago.'' Hershel spoke again. Nathan smiled at Measi as he took one of her bags, earning a groan from Daryl.

''Keep the flirting to a minimum.''  

''All right, let's move the vehicles near each of the doors facing out toward the road. -- We'll build a lookout in the windmill, another in the barn loft. That should give us sightlines both sides of the property.'' Rick turned to T-Dog, who was walking around the car. 

''T-Dog, you take the perimeter around the house. Keep track of everyone coming and going.''

''What about standing guard?''

''I need you and Daryl on double duty.'' he answered back, earning a nod and a 'Gotcha.' from the man.

''I'll stock the basement with food and water, enough that we can all survive there a few days if need be.'' Hershel spoke up.

''What about patrols?'' Andrea spoke up, Measi let her head tilt to the side as she watched the woman, ever since Dale, she had changed.

''Let's get this area locked down first. After that, Shane'll assign shifts while me and Daryl take Randall offsite and cut him loose.''

''We're back to that now?'' Shane questioned, but before someone else could speak up, Measi was in front of him.

''It was the right plan first time around.'' She smirked as she looked at him, almost spitting the words out. ''Poor execution.''

''That's a slight understatement.''

''You don't agree, but this what's happening. Swallow it-- Move on.''

''You know that Dale's death and the prisoner-- that's two separate things, right?'' When Rick didn't answer him, he raised his shoulders. ''You wanna take Daryl as your wingman, be my guest.'' Measi rolled her eyes at him when she heard her brothers name, allowing Nathan to pull her along. 

''One day I'm going to bash his brains in.'' Nathan chuckled at her as he pushed his arm over her shoulder, kissing the side of her head as they walked. She smiled at him as she kept walking with her head held high, knowing Daryl wasn't far behind.

''But when you do, let me help please?''

''Sure.'' she smirked as she took a few steps, slipping from under his arm. ''You can hide the body.'' she spoke before sprinting towards the house, Nathan following her hot on her tail. 

Measi put her sleeping bag on the floor, dropping her bag on it before softly lowering her sniper on the floor. Luckily for her, she didn't have that much stuff so she was done pretty early. She helped some of the others.