Chapter four

The group walked through the crowd of walkers, all as silent as possible as the experienced group kept checking on the ones who weren't.  ''All right, new plan. Flares from a few guns aren't enough. Too many walkers, too spread out.'' Rick looked at the others as they got to an area with little to no walkers. ''We're not going to the armory. We need our vehicles back at the quarry. All of us drive. We'll need to round 'em up. We leave, we come back.'' Jessie nodded before looking at Carl. ''Okay. But Judith... to the quarry and back, I...'' Gabriel looked up, as he nodded. ''I'll take her. Keep her safe in my church until you all lead the walkers away.''

''Can you do this?'' Michonne asked. ''I'm supposed to. I have to. I will.'' Carl nodded as they transfered Judith from Carl's sheet to Gabriel's sheet, softly shushing the girl as Jessie turned to him. ''Take Sam.'' The boy shook his head, protesting. ''Yes, Sam, it'll be safer.''

''I'm not leaving you.''

''Sam-- Mom, I'm not.'' He looked determined as he looked at his mother. ''I can keep going.'' Jessie tried again, but Sam shook his head. ''I can keep going. Please. Please.'' She finally gave in. ''Let's just go.''

''I'm going to keep her safe.'' Gabriel looked at Rick as he nodded. ''Thank you.'' He walked off into the crowd of walkers, keeping his promise as the rest continued, they linked hands again, this time, Measi was at the back with Sam, holding on his hand and the other with Rick. 

It became dark already and soon they were walking in the dark. Measi had to squint her eyes as she walked in the line. She could feel the sweat on Sam's hand as she kept her eyes ahead,walking directly behind Rick when Sam stopped. Measi frowned as she tugged on Rick's hand, looking back at the boy who held her other hand. 

''Sam? Sam?''

''Come on, come on. Sweetheart? Sam? You can do it. Yes, you can.'' They kept calling for the boy, all trying to keep him going as he tightened his hand on Measi's. ''I want to.'' He was softly crying as two walkers got to him, recognizing the group. Measi tried to pull her hand loose but Sam held onto her. ''Let go of me ...'' She tried to tug away again when a walker approached her. Jessie cried as Measi jammed her knife into a walker's head. Jessie kept screaming, which sealed her fate too, getting bitten as well. 

Measi finally got her hand loose from Sam as she suddenly felt a sharp pain in her side. Her eyes widened as Michonne killed the walker that was holding her before the girl pulled away. All sounds became disoriented as she moved her hand to her side, feeling the bite marks and blood coating her hand as she forced herself to snap out of it, seeing Carl fall to the ground with a shot wound in his eye. She looked at the two adults as she shook her head. ''Keep going, I'll keep fighting.'' They nodded at her as they rushed forward, pushing themselves through the crowd.   

They ended up in the infirmary, rushing Carl inside. ''This is a gunshot?'' Denise yelled out as Measi closed the door behind them and Michonne nodded. ''Handgun. Close range.'' Measi looked at the boy, remembering a similar situation when he was shot by Otis. Denise was throwing orders around as Rick looked outside through the window and than walking outside. ''What-- what are you doing? Rick! Rick!'' Michonne called out as Measi stared after him.  She sighed as she looked at her side and threw the bed sheet of her, grabbing her gun as she was stopped by Heath. ''Are you insane?'' She shook her head as she showed him the bite mark. ''I'm already bitten, I've got nothing to lose.'' She looked outside again as she nodded. ''I can help.'' She pushed past him as she threw the door open, shooting all walkers she could see. 

Soonly enough, the others followed and the small army killed as many walkers as they could. They kept close as they stood in a circle, covering each other as they used guns, knifes and Measi's sniper to kill the walkers. ''Knock 'em away! Drive 'em down!'' Holly and Spencer joined them. ''We can beat 'em! We can beat 'em!'' Even Gabriel came outside, leaving Judith with the other people inside the church. 

Than, Eugene, Tara, Carol, Rosita and Morgan joined them too. Then, to even more surprise, Glenn, Enid, Sasha, Abraham and Daryl joined them at the gate, helping the group. ''Measi, get up that guard tower.'' Rick looked at her with a smirk. ''Snipe them all.'' She climbed up, groaning in pain as she held her side with one hand while using the other to climb up. 

She did as she was told, using her sniper to kill all walkers she could until she ran out of ammo. Than, a huge fire erupted from a side as she climbed down, killing more walkers with her knife while others were drawn away because of the fire where they burned till they fell. 

Morning came and no-one else died or got bit. Daryl rushed to his sister as he hugged her, the girl crying out in pain as he pulled back. Others of the group turned to them, frowning at the girl. She sighed as tears swelled in her eyes, lifting her shirt up as she showed the bite mark. Daryl stared in disbelief as she lowered her shirt down again, tears slipping from her eyes as Daryl pulled her close, crying into her hair as she comforted him, waving her hand over his back as she tried to calm him down. 

She sat with him in the infirmary as he was patched up by Denise, he got nicked in the shoulder. She sat down next to him, feeling nauseous and dizzy as Glenn stood behind her, holding her upright as she tried to keep her eyes open. She turned to Daryl with a sad smile. ''It's okay ... I promise.'' She held up her right hand. ''I was living on borrowed time anyway.'' 

That night, the group was in Measi's bedroom, each saying their goodbyes to the girl as she too said her goodbyes. She pulled on Ricks arm as she looked at him. ''Say goodbye to Carl for me, he deserves it.'' He nodded as he pulled her head up and kissed her hair. ''Thank you, for all you've done for us.'' 

Glenn and Daryl were the last ones to say their goodbyes to the girl. Glenn holding her hand as she smiled at him. ''Thank you for all you've done for us, for me.'' She smiled as she nodded. ''Take care of the little one.'' His eyes widened, ''you knew?'' She smirked before nodding. ''Congrats.'' He smiled as he bid her goodbye, leaving the half-siblings alone as Daryl stared at her, tears slipping from his eyes. ''I hate to ask this of you, but I want it to be you Daryl, you have to kill me.'' He nodded, ''I know, we made a promise, I won't let you turn.'' She nodded as she landed in a coughing fit, coughing up blood that coated her hand. Her eyes became droopy as she laid her head on the pillow. She felt the bed dip beside her, and Daryl's voice was the last thing she heard. ''I love you Measi, say hi to the others for me.'' With a smile on her face, she let herself be consumed by darkness.

Daryl pushed the blade into his sister's head as he cried, holding her body to his own before the rest of the group came inside, looking at the older brother holding the lifeless body of his only sister. Stripped away from him at an instance.

So, this is actually the end of this book ... I wanted to end it on a high note and let Measi go like the warrior she was in this book. I wanted it to be a surprise and so I hope I did that. I honestly did cry for Daryl, I hated the fact that he was so hopeful and than learned she was going to die. So ... I hope you enjoyed this book and this chapter and if you did, please leave your last vote and comment and check out my other books. With this, I say goodbye to Measi Dixon. 

-X Violet's-library