Chapter eleven

''We're not leaving.'' Rick stated, Beth and Measi sitting next to each other on the steps as they listened to the man. When the shooting between the Governor en the prison had ended, Merle and Daryl had showed up. Measi glanced at Daryl for a moment before she pulled her gaze back.

''We can't stay here.''

''What if there's another sniper?'' Maggie questioned, her eyes darting to their own sniper before she added. ''A wood pallet won't stop one of those rounds.''

''We can't even go outside.''

''Not in the daylight.'' Carol added, Nathan and Measi glanced at each other, she wished she just had bullets at the moment so she could take out a sniper if he was there, maybe take out some walkers as well.

''Rick says we're not running, we're not running.'' Glenn reacted to them, Merle's voice echoing through the room.

''No, better to live like rats.''

''You got a better idea?'' Measi snarled at him.

''Yeah, we should have slid out of here last night and lived to fight another day. But we lost that window, didn't we? I'm sure he's got scouts on every road out of this place by now.''

''We ain't scared of that prick.'' Measi added, her head turning to her half-brother for the first time.

''Y'all should be. That truck through the fence thing, that's just him ringing the doorbell. We might have some thick walls to hide behind, but he's got the guns and the numbers. And if he takes the high ground around this place, shoot, he could just starve us out if he wanted to.''

''Let's put him in the other cell block.'' Maggie spoke up, getting irritated at the older man.

''No. He's got a point.'' Daryl's voice stated, Measi's head going up to his gaze as he looked back at Merle.

''This is all you. You started this.''

''What difference whose fault it is? What do we do?'' Beth questioned as she walked down the steps that her father was sitting on.

''I said we should leave. Now Axel's dead. We can't just sit here.'' When Rick tried to walk away, Hershel yelled out, startling Measi as she shivered for a moment. ''Get back here!'' Hershel hopped to him, his eyes stern. ''You're slipping, Rick. We've all seen it. We understand why. But now is not the time. You once said this isn't a democracy. Now you have to own up to that. I put my family's life in your hands. So get your head clear and do something.''

Measi ruffled through her bag for what seemed the millionth time. ''Looking for bullets?'' Her eyes went up to Daryl as he leaned against the side of the cell door frame. ''Can we talk?'' She closed her eyes at those words, they reminded her of Nathan's words the day before when he apologized.

''About?'' She didn't give him a choice to answer. ''About you leaving me? About saying Merle is more blood than I am?'' When he gave her a questioning look, she scoffed. ''Glenn and I get along, you think he wouldn't have told me that you called me your,'' She raised her voice with rage. ''Half.'' Her eyes darted back to his. ''Sister?'' She threw her bag onto her bed as she passed him, bumping her shoulder into his body. ''Yeah, didn't think so.''

To blow off steam she and Beth were sitting in Beth's cell as they were laughing at silly jokes and gossip from before the apocalypse. Beth had the most questions, Measi being as closed off as she was hadn't shared much about her life, but Beth made her walls come down a bit, she felt like Beth was her first real friend.

"Not really, I never had the best family home." Measi spoke up as Beth sat up from the spot she had been laying on.

"How come?"