11: Nightmares

The horde was massive, filling a gorge with their numbers. A black dragon with glowing red eyes was on a crude bridge roaring and blowing a blue fire. The Darkspawn were looking up at it, unmoving. It continued to roar and breathe fire. I could hear whispers but couldn't understand a word.

I sat up and put a hand to my head. I shook it to clear away the images from the dream or vision or whatever it was. Alistair was sitting on his bedroll watching me.

"Bad dreams, huh?" he asked.

"It seemed so real...," I whispered.

"Well, it is real. Sort of. You see, part of being a Grey Warden is being able to hear the Darkspawn. That's what your dream was. Hearing them. The Archdemon, he... 'talks' to the horde and we feel it just as they do. That's why we know this is really a Blight."

"The Archdemon? Is that the dragon?"

"I don't know if it's really a dragon but it sure looks like one. But yes, that's the Archdemon. It takes a bit but eventually you can block the dreams out. Some of the older Grey Wardens say they can understand the Archdemon a bit, but I sure can't. Anyhow, when I heard you thrashing about, I thought I should tell you. It was scary at first for me, too." It was more disturbing than scary.

I smiled at him reassuringly. "I'm not frightened."

"I screamed like a little girl. Duncan thought I had someone in my room."

I laughed at the thought.

"At least you're not screaming your head off. I guess the dreams are something that comes with being a Warden."

"Thank you, Alistair," I said. "I appreciate it."

Alistair didn't seem to care that I was Dalish. All he seemed to see was the fellow Warden. It was still something I did not expect from a Shem. "That's what I'm here for. To deliver unpleasant news and witty one-liners."

I laughed. He couldn't stay serious for more than five minutes, even in battle he tried to keep the mood light.

He stood, picking up his sword and strapping it on his back. "Anyhow, you're up now, right? Let's pull up camp and get a move on."

As we packed up, I thought I should talk to Leliana about her vision. "Leliana, can I ask you about that vision of yours?"

"I knew this would come up sooner or later," she sighed. "I don't know how to explain, but I had a dream. In it, there was an impenetrable darkness. It was so dense, so real. And there was a noise, a terrible ungodly noise. I stood on a peak and watched as the darkness consumed everything. And when the storm swallowed the last of the sun's light, I... I fell and the darkness drew me in."

"You dreamed of the Blight?"

"I suppose I did. That was what the darkness was, no? When I woke, I went to the Chantry's gardens, as I always do. But that day, the rosebush in the corner had flowered. Everyone knew that bush was dead. It was grey and twisted and gnarled, the ugliest thing you ever saw. But there it was... a single, beautiful rose. It was as though The Maker stretched out His hand to say 'Even in the midst of this darkness, there is hope and beauty. Have faith.'"

"And this made you want to help us?" I still had my doubts that this woman wasn't an Archdemon shy of a Blight.

"In my dream, I fell or... or maybe I jumped... I'd do anything to stop the Blight. I know that we can do it. There are so many good things in the Maker's world. How can I sit by while the Blight devours everything?"

"I suppose I couldn't sit by either."

"That is why you are a Grey Warden. Come. There is a Blight to stop."

It wasn't why I was a Grey Warden, truthfully, but it was a tale that still hurt to even think about, let alone tell. Thus, I didn't correct her.

We had just finished packing up camp when I heard a snarl. I looked over at Tristan to see Alistair jumping back. "Argh! Why you little..."

"Are you harassing my dog?" I teased.

"Me? Harassing your dog? I should say it's the other way around. Your furry friend here took offense to me getting near his food. Snapped at me. Look...." Alistair held his hand up. One of Tristan's canines had barely broken the skin on the back of his hand.

I shook my head. "It was just a warning. He could have taken a hand off."

"And don't you think I don't know it. Sometimes I forget he's a wardog. That'll teach me."

"You actually learn?"

"Oh, you're so funny."

I grinned and he could only laugh and walk off. I was finding that I was beginning to trust that goofball. I never thought I would trust a Shem. There was just something about him that could break through my suspicions and make me let down my guard. We finished packing up and continued on to Redcliffe.