51: Facing Loghain

Soundtrack:

The Nazgul ~ Howard Shore (Loghain's Theme)

We returned to Redcliffe Castle and found Arl Eamon, Teagan, and Isolde in the main hall.

"Ah, you return," the Arl said. "You've gathered all the allies you could?"

"Yes, we have," I answered.

"That's good. We can call the Landsmeet, if you are ready." I was far from ready. Politics was not something I was accustomed to. And I knew Alistair was farther from ready than I was. But it was not something we could afford to postpone. "I prefer not to give Loghain time to consider but it is up to you. I do not wish to go to Denerim unless you are with me."

"Then we shouldn't delay any longer."

"I shall make the arrangements. Let us be off to Denerim and may the Maker watch over us."

~~~

We approached the gates of Denerim, but instead of trying to blend in and keep from drawing attention to ourselves, this time we were part of an Arl's entourage. And I wasn't looking forward to returning to the smelly city. Just the thought made my stomach turn.

"Denerim," Eamon said as the gates loomed closer. "The heart and soul of Ferelden. The city of King Calenhad and the birthplace of Andraste. As stubborn as a mabari and as good to have on your side." Tristan barked and the arl chuckled. "If we defeat Loghain here, the rest of the nation will follow us." We passed into Denerim as he spoke. "By calling the Landsmeet, I've struck the first blow. The advantage, for the moment, is ours. He'll have little choice but to show himself to oppose us directly. He will strike back at us. The only question is how soon?"

Like all of the arls, Eamon had an estate in Denerim. He had servants show us to our rooms. We were still getting settled in when a servant came in to inform me the Arl wished to see me in the receiving hall. Alistair met me in the hall and together we went to see Eamon. We had barely arrived when Loghain walked in, a man and a woman I didn't recognize trailing behind him. The man had an arrogant air about him and the woman had a proud stance. We met them about halfway. As much as I wanted to jump on Loghain right then and there I had to restrain myself, not only for my sake but for Ferelden's sake. It needed all its The Grey Wardens, not half of them. I glanced over at Alistair and our eyes met. We'd have our chance, just not now.

"Loghain," Eamon said. "This is... an honor. That the Regent himself would find time to greet me personally."

"How could I not welcome a man so important as to call every lord in Ferelden away from his estates while a Blight claws at our land?" Loghain answered dryly.

"The Blight is why I'm here. With Cailan dead, Ferelden must have a king to lead it against the Darkspawn."

"Ferelden has a strong leader; its queen. And I lead her armies."

"Considering Ostagar, perhaps we need a better general," I said. I couldn't hold my tongue.

"And who is this, Eamon?" Loghain looked me up and down. Obviously, he didn't recognize me. We were both in that war meeting where it was decided that Alistair and I would light the beacon. Perhaps he thought the two sent to the tower were overwhelmed by the horde. Let him think that. "Some new stray you picked up on the road? And here I thought it was only royal bastards you played nursemaid to, not wild Elves."

"Well, you're admitting the 'royal' part," Alistair said. "That's a start."

"I am a witness to your crimes at Ostagar."