39: Dust Town

We traveled with Lord Dace's patrol and split off when we'd reached his estate. We went back to the Assembly hall to find Vartag.

"Legion of the Dead warriors secretly wear Prince Bhelen's colors! Our prince has Orzammar's deadliest warriors behind him!"

"Not a secret anymore," Sten said.

Zevran chuckled.

We found Vartag in the same place as before. "Lady Dace just came through the quarter on a tear," he said. "She's telling everyone who'll listen what a leech and a liar Harrowmont is. Good job. So you were serious about wanting to help us. Are you ready to meet Bhelen now?"

"Whenever you're ready to leave," I said.

"I warn you, be on your best behavior. And keep your weapons sheathed."

~~~

Vartag led us to the Royal Palace and into a study of some sort. I was correct in assuming the younger Dwarf we had seen arguing in the Commons when we arrived was Bhelen.

The prince approached us. "I am impressed, Warden," he said. "Not many outsiders so quickly grasp Orzammar's rather... convoluted politics." I wouldn't say I'd grasped it. I actually had no idea what I was doing. Period. "I am Prince Bhelen. Vartag told me of your efforts against the usurper who tried to claim my father's throne."

"I take it you're not too fond of Harrowmont," I said.

"Harrowmont spent his entire life in the Assembly. He only knows how to lead through compromises and capitulation. That's not what Orzammar needs. The Darkspawn are massing for a Blight. The lands topside have been torn apart."

"No kidding," Zevran muttered.

Bhelen obviously didn't hear him. "We need a strong leader, someone who can stand up to the Assembly, someone who will rule, not persuade."

"And you're that man?"

"Do you expect modesty? That is no valuable trait for a king. This is a time for action, not cultured debate. We need absolute unity to fight against the fulcrum of true evil."

"Then you'll honor the agreement with the Wardens?"

"Absolutely. And sworn on the mail of my ancestors as soon as Orzammar is united under my rule. Unfortunately, while this debate rages I have no power to send the troops you need. You've seen yourself, the city is a slaughterhouse. Criminals run lawless. I could never hold the throne if I allowed such chaos. Jarvia and her carta are behind this bedlam. If you could eliminate them, I promise as king, I will send as many troops as you need to fight the Darkspawn. Unfortunately, I have little information on Jarvia. Her base of power is in Dust Town, the lowest part of the city, and my men have few sources there. Maybe the casteless will speak more freely with a stranger." Lovely. More errands.

"I'll look for her."

"And I will await eagerly for your return."

We left the Royal Palace and headed to the Commons.

"Grey Wardens present in Orzammar, endorsement of Lord Bhelen a clear statement against the backward policies of Lord Harrowmont."

"You've got to be kidding me," Alistair said.

I sighed. "This must be how the news travels so fast around here," I said.

"News of the hour! Lord Bhelen, unable to win own battles, rely on Grey Wardens!"

"That is getting annoying," Morrigan said.