6: The Joining

Soundtrack:

I Am the One ~ Inon Zur (The Joining)

Hand of Sorrow ~ Within Temptation (Grey Wardens Theme)

After leaving Morrigan at the edge of the Wilds, Alistair led us back to the gates of Ostagar. Once inside, I turned and headed to the kennels.

"Where are you going?" Alistair asked.

"I told the kennel master if I found that flower he was looking for, I'd bring it to him," I responded.

Alistair nodded. "We'll wait for you here. Be quick."

I jogged over to the kennels and found the kennel master. "How is our friend doing?" I asked.

He turned to me, his eyes as grieved as when I'd spoken to him earlier. "The mabari is stable for now, but not improving. Unless I get that herb I was telling you about, there's not much hope."

I carefully pulled out the flower I had picked in the Wilds. "Is this the flower you're looking for?"

"Let me see," he said as I handed him the flower. "Yes! That's exactly it! Wonderful! Give me a moment and I'll make this into an ointment," He went into the kennels and returned several minutes later. "He looks better already. I'm sure he'd thank you himself, if he could."

"How long before there's an improvement?" I wanted the mabari to survive for some reason. Perhaps it was because of the taint we both had.

"A day, maybe two. There's enough ointment for him to make a full recovery. Why not come back after the battle? Perhaps we can see about imprinting him on you?"

"You think that's possible?" He had said re-imprinting was difficult.

"Maybe. It's likely he understands you're responsible for curing him. Mabari are at least as smart as your average tax collector," He chuckled. "Come back after the battle and just... take another look."

"I will, then."

The kennel master smiled and then returned to tending to the dogs. I rejoined Alistair, Daveth, and Jory and together we went to Duncan with the blood and the treaties.

"So you return from the Wilds," Duncan said. "Have you been successful?"

"Not that it was easy, but yes," I replied, handing him the vials.

"Good. I've had the Circle Mages preparing. With the blood you've retrieved, we can begin the Joining immediately."

"Now will you tell us what this ritual is about?"

"I will not lie; we Grey Wardens pay a heavy price to become what we are. Fate may decree that you pay your price now rather than later."

That didn't sound good. If he was hinting at the possibility that we could die during the Joining, it was no wonder the Wardens numbers were few.

"I've come this far," I said. "I want to see this through." I didn't come this far with the taint to give up now due to a fear that the Ritual would kill me. I was already dead. This would just make it quicker.

"I agree," Jory piped in. "Let's have it done."

"Then let us begin," Duncan turned to his fellow Warden. "Alistair, take them to the old temple," Alistair nodded and he and the others left. I stayed behind. "Realin?"

"I have no problem with facing the Joining," I said. "But how is this going to cure my taint?"

"I will explain it to all of you," he paused. "It hasn't gotten worse, has it?"