63: The Battle of Denerim

Soundtrack:

Requiem for a Dream ~ Clint Mansell (The Battle of Denerim)

We went to the Market District first.

"Incoming!" Several ogres raced towards us. Along with a group of Redcliffe knights. "Don't let them grab you!"

We hacked and slashed at them. A Darkspawn tried to surprise me from behind and I spun around and beheaded him. And saw the ogre charging towards us, horns down. I charged it, leaping into the air at the last minute. I sailed over it, bringing my blades down into the back of its neck. I pulled them free and twisted around so I would land on my feet. I slid a few feet as the ogre fell and moved no more. I launched myself forward and used its body as a springboard, landing on top of another ogre. My blades found its neck just before it found my leg and threw me into a building.

"That's going to be sore later."

A Darkspawn came after me while I was still down. I held my swords up so it would impale itself on them. Alistair charged it, knocking it back then beheading it while it was still stunned. I catapulted to my feet and charged at another ogre. I danced with it, giving it deep wounds while avoiding its feet and arms. It rammed me and I went sliding several feet away from the others. I catapulted to my feet again as it came towards me. I slashed down, then up and the ogre staggered backward. I ran and leapt up, my blades going through its throat. It fell backward. I pulled my blades free. I was on my knees on its chest. I raised one sword and brought it down with all my strength. The blade passed cleanly through its throat. I pulled my blade free, stood, and jumped backward off of it. Alistair was jumping off another ogre and Morrigan was bashing an Emissary across the back of the head. She walked away like she wasn't in a battle and it exploded behind her.

"That was interesting."

"A little trick I had up my sleeve, so to speak."

Sten and Alistair walked towards us.

"A good start," Sten said, his sword over his shoulder.

"Are you alright?" Alistair asked.

"We still haven't found either general," I said, ignoring him. "And they could be anywhere between here and Fort Drakon."

"The Warden did tell us they weren't near the Fort," Sten said.

"Hate to interrupt," Morrigan said, her staff at the ready. "But we have company."

Two ogres and an unusually large Darkspawn were running towards us.

"Anyone want to guess that's the general?" I said.

We raced forward, Sten and the knights distracting the ogres while Alistair and I went after the general. He was armed with a very large axe and swung it wildly at us. A few of the knights came to our aid. I slipped behind it to stab it in the back but it spun around and caught my shoulder. I staggered backward. He swung again and I brought my swords up to block. The blow knocked me backward and I lost my balance, and my left sword. I rolled and looked around for my sword. It was out of reach and the general was bearing down on me. I switched hands and activated the hidden blade mechanism Genitivi had given me. I charged forward, ducking the blow aimed at my head. I gave a cry when my wounded shoulder rammed into its abdomen. We tumbled to the ground. My foot came down on the wrist holding the axe. I punched downward, the blade slipping into its face. I pulled back and did the same to its throat. I shoved my sword into its chest for good measure. I retrieved my lost sword and went after the remaining ogre. Alistair was staggering to his feet and I realized an ogre had thrown him aside to protect the general. Which explained why the general was focusing only on me. After the ogre fell, I could sense no more in our immediate vicinity.