58: The Landsmeet

Soundtrack:

United We Stand, Divided We Fall ~ Two Steps From Hell (The Landsmeet)

We returned to Redcliffe Estate. We parted ways and I went to find Eamon. I entered his study and saw him speaking to Riordan.

"Ah, there you are!" Eamon said when I entered. "I was about to send out a search party."

Riordan gave a bow and left the study.

"I've been hearing of a great commotion in the Alienage. What exactly happened there?"

I pulled out the letter that the slaver had tried to bribe me for. "Loghain was collaborating with a Tevinter slaver."

"Maker forgive me. I should be appalled that such a thing could exist here but I'm overjoyed you can implicate Loghain. We must end this civil war quickly. What the Blight does not corrupt in this land, politics surely will. The last of our allies have arrived in the city. We cannot delay any longer. I will call for the Landsmeet to convene. Bring Alistair and join me at the palace as soon as you are ready, Realin." Eamon left. So the time had come for the nobles to choose a ruler. I went to find Alistair.

I passed Riordan in the hall. "I cannot thank you and Alistair enough for coming to my aid. Good luck to you at the Landsmeet, Sister."

"Thank you, Brother."

I found Alistair in my room, of all places. After searching the whole estate for him. "So," he said when I entered. "I'm guessing someone told Anora I was planning to steal her throne. She has a nasty glare. Did anyone mention this wasn't my idea? I think she's a great queen. As far as I'm concerned, she's welcome to it."

"And you think I'm the one that ran my mouth off?"

"Oh, no, no, no, no. Not at all. Not with the way you've been playing politics lately. Besides, you're the type that would rather measure the threat level before saying anything."

"Um, thanks?"

He smacked himself in the forehead. "That came out wrong again, didn't it?"

I touched his arm and he lowered his hand. "I think you'd be a great king, Alistair."

"Really? Whatever would give you that idea?"

I smiled at the sarcasm coloring his voice. "You have a kind heart and a strong sense of justice."

"Well, it's nice that you think so. What do you think I should do? Just go ahead and be king? Just let it happen?"

I sighed, taking his hands into mine and entwining our fingers. My hands were so much smaller than his. "Do you really have a choice? You are Theirin. You had no say in that than I did in being a Mahariel or being born into Sabrae Clan or a Keeper's daughter."

He thought a moment. "Maybe not," he said slowly. "There's good reasons for me to be king, I know that. I just thought Anora didn't seem like a bad choice. It's just that everything I've heard about Queen Anora is that she's the one who really ruled here, not Cailan. She's smart, tough, determined... while I feel a bit like Cailan's replacement. I think I'd be better off against the Darkspawn. 'Alright, Alistair, enough whining!'" His voice went deeper. "'Thank you, Alistair. That's excellent advice. I'll do my best!'"

I laughed. "Don't you listen to him."

Alistair chuckled. "No, no, it's alright. The moment has passed." His smile faded and he sighed. "Time to face the music. I hope Eamon doesn't expect me to give a speech. Maker, he probably does, doesn't he?" He groaned as we left my room, our fingers still entwined.