30: The Temple

Despite Genitivi's attempts not to slow us down, we made slow progress up the mountain. Sure enough, Genitivi led us to a temple built into the mountainside.

"Wow," Alistair said, awe in his voice.

"That is impressive," Zevran commented.

We went inside and up a flight of stairs to a locked door.

"Here we are," Genitivi said. "Give me the medallion and let's see if I can remember."

I handed him the medallion.

"Yes." He manipulated the medallion. "You see, it can be manipulated, just like this and there... a key to open the way."

"How did you know how to do that?"  He'd done it so quickly I couldn't follow what he was doing.

"There are very few keys like this left in the world but I have seen some. When you find the right combination, it just... feels right. It is hard to explain. Now let's see if we can open this door. There should be a place to insert this." He found the keyhole and inserted the key. The door led to a vast temple that I'm sure was beautiful at one time. It was still beautiful in a way.

"By the Creators," I breathed. We went inside.

"What I would give to have seen this hall in all its splendor, as it was meant to be. Still, sweep the ice and snow away and traces of beauty remain."

My eyes were sweeping the area, looking for any sign of a trap or ambush. "You need to stay alert now, Brother."

"I'm sorry... what? I was a little distracted. I apologize."

I chuckled and shook my head.

"These carvings were created just after Andraste's death and they may reveal things about Her life that we do not yet know. I think I need more time to study these statues and carvings."

"You want to stay here? Is it safe?"

"I could not keep up with you with my injuries. I should be safe. I don't think there are any villagers here. Go. I will be alright. Perhaps my destiny was only to lead you to the Urn."

"Is there anything else I need to know about the temple?"

"It was designed to protect the Urn from those who would steal or do harm to it, namely, the Tevinter Imperium."

"What sort of dangers are we talking about here?" I wanted to know what to expect. Walking blindly into anything was never a good tactic.

"I'm not sure. The legends were never very specific on that point. 'Only the faithful shall lay eyes on the Sacred Ashes; death and misfortune await the unbeliever.'"

I hoped that didn't include me. I didn't worship the Shems' god.

"'The Maker's gaze has fallen on Andraste's final resting place. He weeps for His Beloved and His wrath at Her betrayers endures'."

I raised a brow. "The Maker is here?" Could a god walk the earth?

"That is what the legend said and the Maker may indeed watch this place. Read between the lines, however, and you'll understand that it is merely a simple truth draped in hyperbole and metaphor. After all, no one wants to hear 'Willy toiled for many a year to perfect the curious mechanisms that would send a sharpened spike up the arse of the unwary intruder.'"

"Lovely. So keep an eye open for traps."

"I think my decision to stay here was the best one, don't you?"

"Try not to get into trouble."

"I'll be here if you need me."