45: The Dalish

Soundtrack:

Heart of the Forest ~ Jeremy Soule

I crouched down and studied the tracks.

"How exactly are we supposed to find a people that have perfected hiding to an art?" Leliana asked for the hundredth time.

Alistair sighed. "For starters, we have one of those people who have perfected hiding to an art tracking them."

"Don't talk about me like I'm not here. I can hear you," I said.

Wynne chuckled. "Is this your clan that your tracking?" she asked.

"My clan is farther north. They had packed up camp shortly after I left."

"Then who's clan is this?"

I shook my head. "I won't know until we find them and speak to the Keeper." I stood. "The halla tracks lead this way." I lead the way, keeping an eye out for the signs of the camp. When we drew closer to the camp, a woman I recognized as a Hunter called Mithra approached us. She recognized me as Dalish right away.

"Andaran atish'an, ma falon," she greeted. "You have come a long way. I give you the welcome of our clan." I touched my forehead, a greeting among Hunters, to which she returned. She looked at the other suspiciously. "These are curious companions you have. Might I ask the purpose of your visit?"

"I have come on behalf of the Grey Wardens, lethallan," I replied. I had no worry of Loghian's men being here or of his spies finding their way to the Dalish. They would have run them off faster than you could blink. And tales about us kept humans at bay mostly anyway.

"The Grey Wardens? You... have joined their ranks?" She sounded surprised that a Dalish would be a Grey Warden. Or would be in the company of humans for that matter. "How unusual! Excuse my surprise. I will take you to the Keeper right away." She turned and led us to the camp.

"Stay close," I said. "Especially you four." I motioned to Alistair, Leliana, Morrigan, and Wynne. "Dalish are not trusting of humans. For good reason."

Mithra led us to the clan's Keeper, whom I knew. Zathrian looked the same as he had four years ago at the Arlathvhen, the gathering of the clans. The Arlathvhen was every ten years, where the Keepers would share what lore about the Elves they had gathered and the clans would mingle with each other share news and gossip for a few days. It was said that Zathrian had rediscovered the immortality of our ancestors, which I halfway believed. He was old when my grandparents were children.

He turned to us when we approached. "I see we have a guest," he said. "And one of our own, no less."

"She is from one of our sister clans to the north, Keeper, but claims to have become on behalf of the Grey Wardens."

Zathrian's eyebrows rose. "The Grey Wardens? How unusual that one of our own should join their ranks. How did such a thing occur?" The clans did not have contact with one another save for the Arlathvhen and in times of war, which was rare. Although the clans had stayed in contact during the war against Orlais. And Alerion Clan usually kept in close contact with Sabrae.

"It's a long story. Perhaps another time?" Which meant I didn't want to tell him at the moment.

"Perhaps so. At the moment, I'm afraid I have little time to spare for long tales." He turned to Mithra. "Thank you, Mithra. You may return to your post."

"Ma nuvenin, Keeper." She left and Zathrian turned back to me.

"Perhaps we should introduce ourselves. I am Zathrian, Keeper and Hahran of this clan. You are?" I wasn't surprised that he didn't recognize me.