64: The Archdemon

Playlist:

Requiem for a Dream ~ Clint Mansell (The Battle of Denerim)

We ran into the city itself, fighting our way through the horde. Our goal was the Palace District. We heard the Archdemon roaring as he raced over the city. After he flew past a tower, he started flying erratically. Then he stopped in mid-air, roaring in pain, before diving straight down towards.

"Something's going on," Alistair said.

"Thank you, Ser Obvious," I said. "I think Riordan made his move."

The Archdemon slammed himself into a tower. Alistair pulled me out of the way of the falling stones, throwing his shield over our heads. Sten wrapped his arms around Morrigan and used his bulk to protect her from harm. Once debris stopped falling, I shoved away from Alistair and looked around for the Archdemon. I caught sight of him making his way towards Fort Drakon. He gave a pained roar and a moment later, I saw something fall.

"Creators! No!" I cried.

The Archdemon flew a bit farther before crashing down onto the top of Fort Drakon. I ran full speed to where Riordan had fallen. I crouched down next to his broken and bloodied body. "Oh, Riordan." I had barely known the Senior Warden, but we had a shared sister and brotherhood. We were one of the last of the Wardens left in Ferelden. Now it was just Alistair and I once more. I reached down and closed his sightless eyes and closed my own eyes. "May the Creators guide you to a peaceful rest, Brother." I would mourn him properly once this was over and if I survived to do so. I stood with a heavy heart and I saw the sadness in Alistair's eyes. He looked at me and his face became unreadable. It was going to be up to me to kill the Archdemon. I hoped I wouldn't let down Riordan, the Grey Wardens, or Ferelden.

~~~

We approached the palace. Several Darkspawn and an ogre ran towards us. I drew my bow, took out the archer on the wall and then focused on the others. Morrigan and I gave Alistair and Sten cover as they rushed the Darkspawn as they came down the stairs. They fell and the ogre rushed towards Sten.

"Sten! Behind you!"

I let loose an arrow that pierced its eye. Sten finished it off and Morrigan and I ran up the stairs leading to the palace courtyard. I let loose arrow after arrow at the advancing Darkspawn. The men rushed up the stairs to the palace entrance and Morrigan and I gave them firing cover. I was forced to switch to my blades when three Shrieks advanced on me. Seeing them made me think of Tamlen's death and I let loose my anger and grief on them. They fell and I rushed at the advancing Darkspawn. An Alpha had knocked down Alistair. I vaulted over him and tackled it, breaking its neck on the stairs before vaulting at the ogre. I buried my blades into its throat then flipped off beheading an Emissary while still in midair. I landed lightly on my feet and in a sweep of my blades beheaded two more Darkspawn.

"How is it you're that agile?" Alistair asked.

"Lots of practice."

We went around the palace towards Fort Drakon. I disengaged a trap and returned to my bow, picking off archers. I ran forward, my bow string singing. I abandoned the bow again and leapt at the back of an Emissary, running both blades through its back. I leapt off the Emissary and went for its bodyguards. They fell quickly and I was hit from behind by a Shriek. It died for its efforts. Alistair drew a Shriek towards me. I ran towards him. He crouched and I leapt on his shield vaulting over him and cutting the Shriek in two. I landed behind an Alpha and surprised it, cutting it down. I ducked as a blast of lightning raced towards me. Morrigan's bolt hit the Alpha that had been behind me. More were pouring out of Fort Drakon's gates.