31: The Gauntlet

Soundtrack:

Nocturne ~ Secret Garden (The Urn of Sacred Ashes)

There were several flights of stairs to ascend before we came to a hall that led to a large room. At the other end of the room was a door and a tall man with silver armor standing before it. I could see a black beard on the part of his face his helm didn't cover. I slowly approached him.

"I bid you welcome, pilgrim," he said. His voice was both gentle and firm at the same time.

"Who are you?" I asked.

"I am the Guardian, the protector of the Urn of Sacred Ashes," Had we actually found it? "I have waited years for this."

I gave him a surprised look. "For me?"

"You are the first to arrive in a very long time. It has been my duty, my life, to protect the Urn and prepare the way for the faithful who come to revere Andraste. For years beyond counting have I been here and shall I remain until my task is done and the Imperium has crumbled into the sea."

I went straight to the point. "How do I get to the Urn?"

"You have come to honor Andraste and you shall, if you prove yourself worthy."

"I need the Ashes to cure a noble man."

"Still, you must prove yourself worthy. It is not my place to decide your worthiness. The Gauntlet does that. If you are found worthy, you will see the Urn and be allowed to take a small pinch of the Ashes for yourself. If not..."

If not, I would die.

"What is the Gauntlet?"

"The Gauntlet tells the true pilgrims from the false. You will undergo four tests of faith and we shall see how your soul fares."

I nodded. I wasn't one of the Maker's children, but I had to try. Or at least die trying to save Eamon. "Let's get this started."

"Before you go, there is something I must ask. I see the path that led you here was not easy. There is suffering in your past. Your suffering and the suffering of others. Tamlen was one of your clan, a blood brother."

I just looked at the Guardian, the mention of my late best friend stopping my heart.

"You left him in the ruins, left him to his fate."

I just stared at him. How could he have possibly known that? The only one who had known about Tamlen and the events leading to his death was Duncan.

"Tell me, pilgrim. Did you fail Tamlen?"

"How do you know of my past?" I breathed. I could feel the others' eyes upon me. I felt the tightness in my chest at the memory of Tamlen touching that Creators forsaken mirror. The Guardian was ripping open a wound that had yet to heal.

"Your path is laid out before me and plain to see. In the lines of your face and the scars on your heart. Do you believe you failed Tamlen?"

In a way I did, but I also didn't. I had told him to stay away from the mirror, but we never did find him when we went back to search for him. If he had listened...

"My answer is my own, Guardian," I whispered. I couldn't relive that. Not now. It was still too fresh and I wasn't strong enough to face it just yet. But I knew the others would ask at some point. And I didn't think I would be able to talk about it even then.

"Very well. You know your own heart."

I wasn't sure if I did.

"Now you've got me curious about how you really feel," Alistair said.