18: The Tower of Magi

Soundtrack:

Beyond the Veil ~ Adrian von Ziegler (The Tower of Magi)

Daughter of the Moon ~ Adriana Figueroa (Wynne's Theme)

It was nearing nightfall when we reached the docks leading to the Tower. We walked down to the Templar standing guard at a boat. "You!" he called, pointing at us. "You're not looking to get across to the tower, are you? Because I have strict orders not to let anyone pass!"

"I am a Grey Warden and I seek the assistance of the Mages," I responded.

"Oh, you're a Grey Warden, are you?" He crossed his arms. "Prove it!"

I pulled the Mages' treaty from my pouch. "I have these." I showed it to him.

"Yes? Oh, a Grey Warden seal. Aha! So you're claiming to be one of those."

"Didn't I just say I was?"

"You know, I have some documents, too. They say I'm the Queen of Antiva. What do you think about that?"

I only raised a brow. "Not much. You're obviously a Templar."

"And if you can't prove you're who you say you are, I'm not letting you in. Anyway, it was nice chatting with you. Now, on your way. Right now. Go."

My eyes narrowed at him. "I warn you. My patience is wearing thin." The Templar saw my vallaslin and suddenly looked uneasy and a little scared. Being a Dalish was coming in handy in scaring the Dread Wolf out of Templars.

"Uhhh... is that bad? Look, I'm, uh, just trying to do my job. I'll take you right now... just like you wanted."

I smiled, which seemed to unnerve him even more. "Yes, please do."

We climbed into the boat and the Templar took us across to the Tower. I caught an attempt at hiding a smile coming from Alistair and an amused look on Sten's face. Morrigan just looked crabby. Big surprise there.

~~~

We walked into chaos. Templars were running amok and in various directions. We approached a man with the air of authority whom I assumed to be Greagoir, the Knight Commander of the Templars and the man that Alistair said we would have to speak to in order to get to the First Enchanter, the Shems' version of a Keeper, for lack of a better comparison.

"And I want two men stationed within sight of the doors at all times. Do not open the doors without my expressed consent. Is that clear?" he was saying to another man.

"Yes, Ser." He marched off and Greagoir turned to us.

"The doors are barred," Alistair observed. "Are they keeping people out? Or in?"

"Now we wait and pray," Greagoir commented.

"What's going on here?" I asked.

"We are dealing with a very delicate situation. You must leave, for your own safety."

"No," He rose a brow at me and opened his mouth to speak. I didn't allow him the chance. "The Mages have an obligation to the Grey Wardens."

"I am weary of the Grey Wardens' ceaseless need for men to fight the Darkspawn," he sighed. "But it is their right. You'll find no allies here. The Templars can spare no men and the Mages are... indisposed. I shall speak plainly. The Tower is no longer under our control," He motioned to the doors into the Tower. "Abominations and demons stalk the Tower's halls. The Circle is lost. The Tower has fallen." Of course. The first sign of an Abomination and the Templars run like scared little girls.