7: Battle of Ostagar

In the meeting, I didn't have much to say. Loghain and Cailen set out their plan and I found out why the king had requested me at the meeting. He wanted Alistair and I to light the beacon at the top of the Tower of Ishal, the agreed signal for Loghain's men to flank the Darkspawn. I will admit that I was disappointed that I wasn't going to be in the battle, but I managed to hold my tongue. I knew Alistair wouldn't be happy at all, either. It didn't escape me the dark looks that Loghain kept giving me. I assumed it was because I was Dalish. Cailen seemed excited about the battle. After some argument, Loghain finally agreed to Cailen's whims.

"Thank you, Loghain," Cailen said. "I cannot wait for that glorious moment! The Grey Wardens battle beside the king of Ferelden to stem the tide of evil!"

"Yes, Cailan. A glorious moment for us all." With that, Loghain walked away from the meeting.

I couldn't push down the fell feeling I had as Duncan and I walked away and towards the Grey Wardens' tents.

~~~

"You heard the plan." Duncan, Alistair, and I were standing by the fire near the Wardens' tents. I could hear the thunder of an approaching storm. "You and Alistair will go to the Tower of Ishal and ensure the beacon is lit."

As I had predicted, Alistair was not happy about it. "What? I won't be in the battle?" he asked.

"This is by the king's personal request, Alistair," Duncan explained. "If the beacon is not lit, Teyrn Loghain's men will not know when to charge."

"So he needs two Grey Wardens standing up there holding the torch. Just in case, right?"

"Stop your whining," I said. "We have an important job." I wanted to be in the battle myself, but I wasn't complaining that I'd been assigned to do this. At least not out loud. Although I wondered why Cailan wanted Alistair with me.

"We must do whatever it takes to destroy the Darkspawn. Exciting or no," Duncan said.

"I get it. I get it," Alistair sighed. "Just so you know, if the king ever asks me to put on a dress and dance the Remigold, I'm drawing the line. Darkspawn or no."

I grinned. "I think I'd like to see that."

Alistair looked at me. "For you, maybe. But it has to be a pretty dress."

Duncan sighed and shook his head. I noticed the smile in his eyes. He turned back to me. "The tower is on the other side of the gorge from the king's camp, the way we came when we arrived. You'll need to cross the gorge and head through the gate and up to the tower entrance. From the top, you'll overlook the entire valley."

"When do we light the beacon?" I asked.

"We will signal you when the time is right. Alistair will know what to look for."

"What if the Archdemon appears?"

"We soil our drawers, that's what," Alistair said.

I gave him a look.

"If he does, leave that to us. I want no heroics from either of you."

I nodded, both to Duncan's order and understanding what our job was.

"I must join the others. From here, you two are on your own. Remember, you are both Grey Wardens. I expect you to be worthy of that title." He turned away.

"Duncan," Alistair seemed resigned to his task now. "May the Maker watch over you."

"May He watch over us all." Duncan left us standing by the fire to join the others.