14: The Battle of Redcliffe

Soundtrack:

The Howling ~ Within Temptation (The Battle of Redcliffe)

We had decided to stand with the knights at the barricade leading to the castle. The barrels of oil were in position. Leliana had discarded her robes in favor of the armor Owen had given her. The leather armor looked similar to the one that Flemeth had given me, only without any of the metal studs for extra protection. Owen had also given her a bow and she tested it. She looked like she knew her way around it. She had a quiver of arrows on her back and a sword at her hip. We'd finally found a suitable sword for Sten, although it, I thought, didn't look quite big enough for him. But it would do until we could find one big enough for him.

I went down on one knee and took a hand full of dirt. I rubbed it between my palms. "Creators, guide our blades and protect us in our solemn hour." I stood and drew my blades. We stood at the ready. We didn't have long to wait. The moment the last rays of the sun disappeared, we heard their snarls and smelled the decay long before we even saw them.

They streamed at us. Morrigan took the first shot, alighting the barrels, as we rushed forward. Blade met decaying flesh. The monsters screeched as they tried to claw at us. The flames set them ablaze and seemed to slow them down some. It even succeeded in felling a few. We dispatched the corpses as they came down upon us. Blood stained the ground and our swords. They didn't bear weapons but their bony fingers were enough to leave gashes upon those who were unlucky enough for them to break through their defenses. What they lacked in strength, however, was made up with sheer numbers. A few knights fell as they were overpowered. Several were trying to overpower Perth. Between blades and bow, Leliana and I gave them a second death. Perth nodded his thanks. As they lay dead, again, we turned back towards the path to the castle, expecting a new onslaught. We were all bloodstained and many of the knights were injured, their own blood staining the ground and mixing with the dead's.

The armored man I had seen talking to Murdock earlier ran towards us. "The monsters are attacking from the lake!" he cried once he was in earshot. "They're attacking the barricades! We need help!"

"Knights! Stay here and guard the path!"

"I will stay with them," Sten said. I nodded to acknowledge him and ran after the militiaman with Alistair, Morrigan, Leliana, and Tristan behind me.

Tristan outflanked me and was soon past us. I heard his snarls and growls before we reached the barricades. I charged headlong into the monsters, something that Alistair seemed to be used to now since he basically did the same with his shield. Several went for me. Arrows sang past me at them. My blades whirled, but they were massing at me and I felt bony fingers tear into my left arm. I was glad now for the gift from Flemeth. Had I still worn my old Dalish armor, I'm sure I would have been dying by now. I'd felt them try to claw at my back and stomach but the armor kept them from reaching my skin. Alistair barreled into the corpses around me with his shield, knocking most of them down. I gave him a nod of thanks as I went for three that were trying to flank him. Leliana's blade was a blur, having abandoned her bow. Murdock fell. Morrigan sent a blast of energy into corpses charging the barricade. The Elf from the tavern sent arrow after arrow into them. The rude Dwarf's greatsword swung about him, felling any of the monsters who were stupid enough to get within reach of the blade.

"Don't let them near the Chantry!" I cried, beheading two.

"Realin! Behind you!"

I spun around to take out the one trying to sucker punch me. Only to have Tristan tackle it with a snarl. We fought on. A few more of the militiamen fell. I saw three of the corpses head for the Chantry. Tristan and I charged at them, killing them before they could reach the door. A fourth barreled into me, ramming me into the Chantry's doors. I was glad the doors were barred. It would not have been good had they flown open. The corpse burst into flames and I set my attention to my next victim, drawing it away from the Chantry. Their numbers began to dwindle. We fought harder. And soon no more of the walking corpses assaulted our positions. We breathed heavily from the exertion of the battle, covered in blood and sweat. Alistair caught my eye and smiled wearily. I nodded at him. Tristan licked my leg. I crouched down and he licked my face. I scratched him behind the ears.

"You did good, boy." He barked happily and then ran over to Alistair and did the same for him. They both walked towards me.

"We did it," he said, breathless and bloodstained. He looked to be uninjured. I nodded and looked around at the surviving militiamen. Many had fallen or were wounded.

"But at what cost?"

~~~

"Dawn arrives and we survived the night. We are victorious!" The gathered townspeople cheered at Teagan's words. "And though this victory comes at a great cost, we must remember none of us would be here if not for the heroism of these good folk beside me."

We were in the Chantry, standing on the raised dais normally used for the Chant of Light and sermons. Sten and Morrigan both looked uncomfortable standing there, all eyes on us. I can't say I was any more comfortable with dozens of Shemlen eyes upon me.

He turned to me. "Thank you, dear lady." Again with the lady. "Truly, the Maker smiled on us when he sent you here in our darkest hour." I didn't think the Maker had anything to do with that, but I wasn't about to say that out loud.

"There is still much more to do, Bann Teagan," I said instead.

"Surely these people deserve some small celebration, don't you think. There is time, yet."

"Let us bow our heads and give honor to those who gave their lives in defense or Redcliffe," Mother Hannah said, changing the subject. "Murdock of Redcliffe, mayor and beloved father, we salute you. You and so many others who have perished here, walk with He who is your Maker. Long may you know the peace of His love."

"Creators above ease their passing and guide them into the Beyond," I whispered, which drew an odd look from Leliana. Alistair knew I worshiped the Elven gods and had even promised me back at Ostagar he would not try to sway me. Leliana, I knew, probably would.

"With the Maker's favor," Teagan was saying. "The blow we delivered today is enough for me to enter the castle and seek out your Arl. Be wary and watch for any signs of renewed attack. We shall return with news as soon as we are able." He turned to us. "Now we've no time to waste. Meet me at the mill. We can talk farther there."