4: Ostagar

Soundtrack:

More Than it Seems ~ Kutless (Alistair's Theme) 

We traveled south to the ruins of Ostagar, on the edge of the Korcari Wilds. Duncan explained to me, among other things, how the Tevinter Imperium built Ostagar to protect themselves from Wilder invasions. And how the king's army and the Grey Wardens were stationed there to fight the Blight attempting their invasion.

"It's fitting we make our stand here, even if we face a different foe within that forest," He explained as we approached Ostagar's gates. "The king's forces have clashed with Darkspawn several times, but here is where the bulk of the horde will show itself. There are only a few Grey Wardens within Ferelden at the moment, but all of us are here. This Blight must be stopped here and now. If it spreads to the north, Ferelden will fall."

A man in heavy golden armor and blond hair approached us, with two men in head to toe armor following him. "Ho there, Duncan!" he called.

Duncan looked surprised to see him as he reached his hand out and they clasped forearms. "King Cailan? I didn't expect..." This was the Ferelden king?

"A royal welcome? I was beginning to worry you'd miss all the fun!"

"Not if I could help it, Your Majesty."

Cailan smiled. "Then I'll have the mighty Duncan at my side in battle after all! Glorious! The other Wardens told me you'd found a promising recruit," He motioned towards me. "I take it this is she?"

"Allow me to introduce you."

Cailan walked towards me. "No need to be so formal, Duncan. We'll be shedding blood together after all," He looked me over. "Might I know your name, friend?"

I wondered if he called everyone that. Or if it was just because I was a Warden recruit. "I'm Realin Mahariel," I answered.

"Pleased to meet you." He didn't seem to care that I was an Elf. Or he just hadn't noticed. "The Grey Wardens are desperate to bolster their numbers and I , for one, am glad to help them. You are Dalish, are you not?" Not only did he notice, he noticed I was a true Elf. "I hear your people possess remarkable skill and honor."

I was surprised. "You know the Dalish?" I was sure the surprise showed in my voice.

"I wish I knew more, but your people aren't very fond of mine. And for good reason. I tell you this; you are very welcome here. The Grey Wardens will benefit greatly with you amongst them. I'm sorry to cut this short, but I should return to my tent. Loghain waits eagerly to bore me with his strategies."

"Your uncle sends his greetings and reminds you that Redcliffe forces could be here within a week," Duncan said.

Cailan laughed. "Eamon just wants in on the glory. We've won three battles against these monsters and tomorrow should be no different."

"I didn't realize things were going so well," I commented.

"I'm not even sure if this is a true Blight. There are plenty of Darkspawn on the field, but alas, we've seen no sign of an Archdemon."

"Disappointed, Your Majesty?" Duncan asked.

"I'd hoped for a war like in the tales! A king riding with the fabled Grey Wardens against a tainted god! But I suppose this will have to do."

His words were amusing, but I managed to keep from smiling. I didn't want the king to think I was laughing at him and his fantasies. Not a good idea to laugh at the most powerful man in Ferelden.

He sighed. "I must go before Loghain sends out a search party. Farewell, Grey Wardens!"

Duncan inclined his head, while I gave the salute that he had given me at camp when I agreed to join him. Cailan and his guards walked off.