forty

FORTY

CHEERS TO A NEW YEAR AND ANOTHER
CHANCE FOR US TO GET IT RIGHT
OPRAH WINFREY
CW: sexual content near the end of the chapter

CHEERS TO A NEW YEAR AND ANOTHERCHANCE FOR US TO GET IT RIGHTOPRAH WINFREYCW: sexual content near the end of the chapter

"MERLIN, TOOK your bloody time!"

"Sorry! The shop was fucking heaving."

Aspen and Fred dropped two heavy plastic bags onto the coffee table, fingers florid and trembling from the cold. George and Verity were waiting, cosily cuddled up on the couch with empty glasses resting nearby. Aspen hauled her scarf off, tossing her jacket aside too before ambling towards the kitchen in search of some dishes.

It was New Year's Eve, or as Verity informed them her Scottish grandparents would say, Hogmanay, and the two couples were back in their own space above the flat to celebrate. Aspen and Fred had been sent on a late alcohol run, and in their tipsy state, had managed to collect an array of snacks to keep them occupied as they awaited midnight. The rebirth, George had joked, hoping to inspire some hope into them all, but all Aspen had felt was dread.

"You two still on beer?" Aspen asked, poking her head around the kitchen door to receive her answer in the shape of two vigorous ginger nods.

When she came back, weighed down by two bottles and several bowls, Fred had already placed himself onto the armchair, holding his arms out desperately for her attention. She rolled her eyes, leaving him in helpless waiting as she shifted bags of crisps and miscellaneous sweets into the bowls, taking on the role as host even though the house was not her own.

"I wonder what the girls are up to right now," Aspen said absentmindedly as she relaxed back into Fred's lap, resting her head against his shoulder.

Alessia and Ginny were still staying at the Burrow, keeping Molly and Arthur company inside their otherwise insanity-inducing house. As of late, it was so quiet you could hear the gnomes outside crystal clear, as if they'd smashed through the glass and crawled through the windows inside. Quiet was not a Weasley trait.

"Merlin, you're like a woman possessed!" Fred said, and pulled his girlfriend tighter in his embrace. "I'm starting to think you think about my sister and Alessia more than me!"

"Oi, careful mate," George quipped, thumb swirling against the condensation on his beer glass absentmindedly. "You might be offended by that answer."

Aspen rolled her eyes, nudging Fred lightly in the ribs.

"Fuck off," she huffed, although the smile on her lips made it plain she hadn't taken it to heart. "I just wonder is all! It is nice to have some adult time, though."

The boys chuckled childishly, likely at the unfortunate phrasing on Aspen's part, but it distracted her from her curiosity all the same. In their absence, Verity and George had cracked open the record player, and Simon and Garfunkel was playing softly over the speakers. Kathy's Song was playing, drifting around the room like a warm hug, but Fred decided quickly to stomp on the tranquility.