thirty-two

THIRTY-TWO

PERHAPS HOME IS NOT A PLACE BUT
SIMPLY AN IRREVOCABLE CONDITION
JAMES BALDWIN, GIOVANNI'S ROOM

MOLLY AND Aspen stayed up all night, unable to sleep with the reminder of the evening's events

MOLLY AND Aspen stayed up all night, unable to sleep with the reminder of the evening's events. Instead, they put their insomnia to good use and began the tiresome task of reassembling the Burrow to its usual state. By the time they'd finished, the sun had risen above the horizon and the gnomes outside had began to stir from their slumber. They collapsed together onto the couch with little to say, but enjoying the solace they found in each other's company nonetheless.

"I think I should fetch Alessia," Aspen spoke blindly into the silence. It wasn't particularly for a response, but more a method of convincing herself it was a necessary task. "She was furious at me last night. I only hope she's less angry now she's slept on it."

Aspen pushed herself from the sofa, looking apprehensively towards the fireplace. The dusty flower pot in which the Weasleys stored their Floo powder was perched atop of the mantlepiece, beckoning her closer.

"You bring her back here for a little chat with me, now," Molly insisted, smiling at Aspen sympathetically. "I know it's tough for her, wanting to help, but I think you were right to take her away. I would have done the same if I were you, dearie. Your mother would be proud of you, looking after her like that."

Aspen bit back tears at the compliment, overly-emotional anyways after the past twenty-four hours had taken its toll on her. If anything, Aspen had considered herself a failure in her mother's eyes, barely able to keep up with the daily motions of being a maternal figure at twenty-three. Encouragement from Molly Weasley — who she considered a fantastic mother despite her familial challenges — meant the world to her, and she felt her lip trembling as she searched for the words to say.

"Thank you," she said meekly, a little speechless following the compliment. "It really means the world. I'll be back soon."

"I'll put the kettle on," Molly said as Aspen stepped into the fireplace, although it already looked as if she were settling back against the couch for a nap.

Aspen spoke as clearly as she could as she tossed the powder at her feet. The flames rose again, flickering against her shoulders as it engulfed her, whisking her through the Floo Network with her eyes squeezed shut. Moments later, the world seemed to come to a definitive halt, and she opened her eyes cautiously, as if expecting something unknown to launch itself at her. Instead, she was met with the empty view of the living room and the thick scent of black coffee, hanging lowly in the air like smoke.

Alessia appeared in the doorway, sporting a pair of vibrant blue leggings and a sweatshirt that Aspen recognised as her own from her Hogwarts days. She didn't question it — rather, she was jealous, beyond uncomfortable in the same silk dress she'd worn to the wedding. By now, it was fraying at the straps, the hem scuffed, although it was nothing a little reparo would not fix.