fifteen

FIFTEEN

ALL HAPPY FAMILIES ARE ALIKE;
EACH UNHAPPY FAMILY IS
UNHAPPY IN ITS OWN WAY
LEO TOLSTOY, ANNA KARENINA

ALL HAPPY FAMILIES ARE ALIKE;EACH UNHAPPY FAMILY IS UNHAPPY IN ITS OWN WAYLEO TOLSTOY, ANNA KARENINA

THE DARKNESS was just settling in as Aspen and the twins arrived home that evening. She tried her best to wipe the smile from her face, but it was so obvious that Alessia came wandering over, curiosity aided by George's never-ending smirk as he continued to tease the pair relentlessly. Aspen had managed to play it off as mere excitement for tomorrow's Christmas dinner, but her sister was clearly not entirely convinced, and ambled back over to Ginny with suspicion in her eyes and gossip tingling on her lips.

Following dinner, the Weasleys and their guests gathered around in the living room, squeezing themselves into every possible seat in the little room. The wooden radio set in the corner was blasting the Celestina Warbeck Christmas radio special, much to Mrs Weasley's delight, and she took great joy in listening to the warbling tones of the Welsh singer. Fleur, who was sitting across the room in Bill's lap, was loudly critical of the radio, and as a result, Molly was gradually turning the radio up to drown her out, making it almost unbearably loud for the rest of the household. Aspen was impressed by Remus Lupin, who somehow seemed unbothered by the racket, and instead placed his intense focus on the fire, which was crackling away across from him.

"We danced to this when we were eighteen! Remember, Arthur?" Molly cried out over the sound of 'A Cauldron Full of Hot, Strong Love', and although her eyes were wet with emotion, Arthur looked considerably less moved, and in fact seemed to be nodding off in his chair.

Although he replied, Molly didn't seem to take much notice. Harry, however, had moved over to sit beside Arthur, looking like he had something urgent on his mind. Aspen, who was near enough to hear them despite the radio, kept an ear out for the conversation, feeling awfully nosy but needing a break from the twins' game of Exploding Snap. Ginny and Alessia had joined in, taking over Aspen's spot, as they seemed to be far more keen on the game than she was.

She noticed immediately that Arthur sounded grave, and the topic of conversation certainly wasn't for prying ears to hear. Still, now that she was focused, she couldn't quite bring herself to zone out. As soon as Harry had mentioned Professor Snape, she felt more than inclined to listen on, in fear that something to do with the school could seriously affect her little sister. Beside her, George's whoop of celebration at his win distorted the final bit of Harry's explanation, and she tried to withhold an annoyed grimace as she leant her back against Arthur's seat.

"Has it ever occurred to you, Harry," said Arthur, "that Snape was simply pretending-"

Harry was quickly dismissive of Arthur's statement. She knew generally she should trust the adult, but there was a solemness in Harry's voice that made her stomach churn. Beside her, Fred tapped her on the shoulder, and leant in closer than usual as he whispered to her.