thirty-one

THIRTY-ONE

I'M AFRAID I WON'T DO THE RIGHT
THING IN THE FACE OF DISASTER
ADA LIMON, BRIGHT DEAD THINGS

I'M AFRAID I WON'T DO THE RIGHTTHING IN THE FACE OF DISASTERADA LIMON, BRIGHT DEAD THINGS

THE ANDREWS sisters did not often fight. At most, there was a stern discussion that ended moments later with light-hearted apologies and promises of ice cream and rom-coms to make up for it. There was always a breaking point, however, and Aspen knew then that it had come. Standing in their grandmother's abandoned kitchen, Alessia Andrews unleashed an unfathomable wave of fury that left the walls shaking.

"What have you done? What the fuck have you done?" Alessia screeched, eyes pooling with angered tears.

"Alessia, please," Aspen started, staring in disbelief as her sister unravelled before her. Almost instinctively, she went to correct her sister's language, but realised quickly that that was a battle to be fought later. "You've got to understand—"

"No! You've got to understand that we've left our friends — our family, even — behind because you're weak, Aspen! You're weak!"

Aspen felt her breath hitch uncomfortably in the back of her throat, and for a moment she struggled to exhale, choking on her exasperation. Alessia's words were an agonising slap in the face, and as she glared up at her older sister, there was nothing but sheer resentment in her eyes. Aspen had only seen it once before — the battle at the astronomy tower, where the Death Eaters had felt the same keen sting of her little sister's hatred.

"You don't understand what I go through for you, Alessia," Aspen said quietly, and yet the silence of the room made her words echo endlessly around them in a torturous loop. "You think it's easy raising a teenager when I'm barely an adult myself? I do everything I can to protect you because I promised mum, and you throw it back in my face!"

Aspen felt awful the instant she'd said it. It was never her intention to make her sister feel like a burden, but the heat of the moment had crept up on her, the devil perched mischievously on her shoulder. She could see the betrayal surfacing from the depths of her sister's eyes, and if it were even possible, Alessia's rage doubled.

"You're being a bitch, Aspen," she mumbled, averting her gaze towards the floor's grime-stricken tiles as she composed herself. "You're being a bitch because you're making it seem like my fault that we left our friends to die back there."

"You're being ridiculous, Alessia," Aspen defended, although the reminder of imminent death made her stomach lurch enough that her judgement was doubted for a solitary second. "The Weasleys are all of age, and are more than capable of looking after themselves. You, however, are only sixteen and can't even bloody perform magic outside of Hogwarts. How do you think you'd have defended yourself, hm?"

"You think that matters anymore, Aspen? You-Know-Who is back, and you think the school's going to care that I defended myself? Merlin, you're deluded!" She paused, teeth sinking into her bottom lip as she thought. "We left Ginny, y'know. She's underage too, and for all I know she's dead now."