eight

EIGHT

THE LAST DAY IS WAY SHORTERTHAN COUNTING TO TENLEENA AHMAD ALMASHAT, HARMONY LETTERS

THAN COUNTING TO TEN
LEENA AHMAD ALMASHAT, HARMONY LETTERS

ASPEN HAD booked the following day - the first of September - off of work. She'd worked extra hours the day before to make up for it, but she had to be there to send her little sister away on the Hogwarts Express. It was always the worst day of the year for her - a reminder that she was both losing her best friend and roommate in one, the replacement being a world of worry about what could happen to Alessia in her absence.

On the thirty-first, they'd stayed up until midnight drinking hot chocolates together on the couch and gossiping about even the most ludicrous of ideas. Alessia informed her older sister of her latest crushes at school, and Aspen cringed as she remembered some of their older siblings from school all too well. As usual, it ended in giggles, and following the delirious sugar high they'd given themselves, both set off for bed.

At half past twelve, not long since they'd crawled beneath their covers, Aspen heard a knock on her door. Unable to sleep for the creeping fear of losing her sister, she immediately answered, calling out a gentle "come in." It was Alessia, obviously, standing in the doorway in her Gryffindor red pyjamas. The sisters knew exactly what each other needed, and without a word, Aspen peeled back her covers and opened her arms, leaving room for her sister to shimmy into the bed beside her.

A still silence settled around the room, and Aspen draped her arms around her sister, giving her a tight squeeze of trembling reassurance. As much as they were sure Hogwarts was the safest place they knew, it was terrifying to be apart as the world seemed to crumble around them. Alessia's buried her face in her sister's shoulder, inhaling the scent of home and their lavender washing detergent upon her silky pyjamas.

"I'll miss you so much, Al," Aspen mumbled eventually, trying not to get teary eyed like a pathetic mother on her child's first day of kindergarten.

"I'll miss you too. I'll be back at Christmas though, and that's only three months away," Alessia replied, logical as ever, though her words were muffled against the soft fabric.

"I know, I know. I'll have so many presents waiting you won't believe it." Aspen laughed, although they both ignored how choked up she was beginning to sound as the worry ebbed its way into her voice. "You'll be good for me, won't you? Safe?"

"It's the safest place on earth. I'll be totally fine," Alessia stated, so matter-of-factly it made Aspen proud to have such a rational sister.

"No getting involved in funny business, you hear me?" Aspen muttered, trying not to sound stern. She paused, and then reiterated her sentiment. "Promise me."