four

FOUR

STAY IS A CHARMING WORDIN A FRIEND'S VOCABULARYAMOS BRONSON ALCOTT, CONCORD DAYS

IN A FRIEND'S VOCABULARY
AMOS BRONSON ALCOTT, CONCORD DAYS

THE REMAINDER of the shift passed by faster than she could have expected. They'd been swept off their feet by crowds of school-age kids who were more than likely stocking up on supplies before the school term restarted. Naturally, since she'd been working the till, Aspen hadn't had a moment to herself for the past four hours.

At closing time, as the last few stragglers disappeared through the door, Fred locked up behind them, guaranteeing no more customers after the long day. George clumsily slid down the banister, almost falling at the last few steps before jumping onto the safety of the ground floor. Conveniently, both boys advanced towards the till at the same time, just as Aspen finished cashing up and counting the day's earnings.

"Shall I pop this in the safe?" She asked, almost mechanically after having done the task for so many days in a row.

"I'll do it. I'm going up to the office anyway," Fred said, grabbing the bags of money from the table as he headed for the 'Staff Only' door.

"No stealing, prick!" George called out as Fred disappeared behind the door, and Aspen blew a trail of entertained air from her nose at the stupid joke as she escaped from the till-front.

Aspen began to tidy the nearby stock of Skiving Snackboxes, which had fallen victim to a flurry of children who clearly had no respect for the display. Not moving to help, George launched himself up onto the countertop, watching Aspen work and enjoying the moment to sit down after a long day on his feet.

"Any plans for tonight?" He asked, obviously just looking to make conversation. It was clear his real desire was to go home and crash out on the couch.

"Not sure," she replied over her shoulder as she stacked the boxes. In reality, she was still thinking about the ice cream Fred had proposed to her earlier, but she was certain it was probably a passing thought long gone in his mind. "Probably just dinner and television with my sister."

"How old is she? Your sister, I mean," George continued, leaning back on his hands against the wooden tabletop.

"Fifteen. She's starting her fifth year soon," Aspen boasted, starting to sound like a proud mother as she finished up the rest of her display. "So no hitting on her or anything."

Behind them, the door swung open on its hinges, and Fred came swaggering back into the room. The pair turned to face him, looking at him as if he had interrupted a very serious conversation despite its trivial context.

"What'd I miss?" He asked, leaning against the counter beside his brother.

"Nothing important. Now are you going to let me clock out or am I being held hostage here all night?"