thirty-five

THIRTY-FIVE

BUILD ME UP AND I WITH YOU

FOR WE ARE MORE ONE THAN TWO.
DEBORAH DAY

"SEE YOU tonight then?" Verity called from behind the counter as Aspen bumbled past the till point.

"Sounds great! Don't let them start dinner without me," Aspen yelled over the racket, grinning broadly as she pushed open the 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐅𝐅 𝐎𝐍𝐋𝐘 door and trundled up to the twins' flat.

For the first time since the wedding, she was on her way to visit Tonks, who was staying currently with her mother, Andromeda. In the evening, she had plans with Fred, George and Verity — almost a double date, if the latter two would just bloody admit to it. While lately she'd been doing more than her fair share of worrying, Aspen had decided that today would be her day off from it all, whether she liked it or not.

The flat was empty, and as evening drew in earlier with the autumnal months, she was plunged into darkness the second she entered. With a flick of her wand, the room was illuminated, and she hurried through to the kitchen where she'd abandoned a bottle of Mulled Mead earlier that day. It was Andromeda's favourite, and ever since she'd been of legal age to buy it, she'd made a habit of taking it round on her frequent visits to the family.

The Tonks family lived in the south of England — Bath, specifically — and although Aspen had spent many a summer day there in her youth, she'd not visited in a long time. Clutching her wand tightly in one hand and the chilled glass bottle in the other, she squeezed her eyes shut, conjuring as vivid a memory of the home as she could before letting the queasy notion of apparition wash over her.

Feet first, she landed with a thud in the garden, her trainers sliding against the squelchy mud. She took a moment of composure, shaking off the nausea that always came with long distance apparition before heading towards the house, wand still poised just in case. Ever since Ted Tonks — Dora's father — had been forced into hiding shortly after the wedding, the safety of the household had been hanging over the abyss precariously. Andromeda might have been a pureblood, but even her keen connection to her muggle-born husband was enough to have the Ministry on guard.

Aspen knocked thrice upon the hardwood door, a signal they'd decided upon in previous correspondence. There was a shuffling from inside, and moments later, the door was flung open, wafting warm, welcoming air into her face. Andromeda Tonks stood there, looking as fiercely beautiful as ever even despite the grey hairs that framed her face, the wrinkles finely painting her features. Her face softened just a touch at the sight of Aspen, but she kept her wand raised, following a protocol that had become second nature by now.

"What was the first meal I cooked for you in this house?" Andromeda asked, eyebrow arched perfectly as she inspected her visitor's features for any signs of an unwelcome intrusion.