twenty-eight

TWENTY-EIGHT

A FRIEND IS SOMEONE WHO KNOWS ALL
ABOUT YOU AND STILL LOVES YOU
ELBERT HUBBARD

A FRIEND IS SOMEONE WHO KNOWS ALL ABOUT YOU AND STILL LOVES YOU ELBERT HUBBARD

"WAKE UP! Wake up!"

Aspen groaned, twisting onto her stomach to avoid the morning's invading sunlight through the thin curtains in Percy Weasley's bedroom. She was met squarely in the face with the sagging material of the camp bed she'd slept on, the overwhelming smell of ageing dust circling her nostrils.

"What time is it?" Aspen asked, her throat creaking under the weight of the day's first words.

"It's already ten o'clock," Fleur said, voice warm like melted caramel.

Aspen sat up, aware she would look nowhere near as ethereal as Fleur did naturally. She'd overslept, and her head was aching with the remembrances of the evening before. Memories of drowning her worries in too much Firewhisky and dancing to Do The Hippogriff with the twins beneath the stars invaded her mind. She almost laughed, had it not been for the urgent look on Fleur's face that had snatched her away from her thoughts.

"Merlin, right. Of course," Aspen said disjointedly, lifting herself from the low camp bed and onto her feet. Her pyjamas had risen up, and she tugged them down over her abdomen, searching around the room for a hairbrush. "Has everyone else started getting ready?"

"Everyone's eating breakfast," Fleur said excitedly, following Aspen around the room with her eyes. "The girls are coming up once they're ready, and the men are going outside to assemble the marquee."

"Great," Aspen said, nodding as she hurried around the room. "Why'd no-one wake me?"

"You looked like you need the sleep," Fleur said truthfully, grasping her compact mirror from the bedside to inspect her perfectly curled hair.

"Cheers," Aspen said, although she wasn't sure Fleur had meant it as a compliment. "You look beautiful, by the way. The most perfect bride I've ever seen."

Fleur let out a whimper of excited emotion, and Aspen felt it was the wrong time to tell her she had never been to a wedding before, let alone seen another bride. Then again, she was sure her statement would be true regardless. Not a hair was out of place, and her skin looked impossibly smooth, a delicate blush fluttering across her cheeks to compliment the soft pink of her lips. All that was left to do was slip into her wedding dress, but Aspen was sure she would have looked flawless in even a bin-bag.

"Thank you," Fleur said, throwing her arms around her friend tightly. "You have always been so lovely to me. I am glad that one day we will be sister-in-laws." She paused again, pulling back from their hug with a bright grin on her face. "Although, I must admit, you feel like a sister to me already."

"Oh, Fleur," Aspen said, face softening as she placed her hairbrush down on the dresser. "You're like a sister to me too. I'm so happy for you."

Fleur looked almost ready to cry. Aspen was fully prepared to wipe her tears if she did, and it was then that she realised just how fond of Fleur she had become. Rarely was she entirely comfortable with her friends' emotions, and in fact, Tonks and Alessia were the only people she would previously have allowed to cry on her shoulder.