ten

TEN

NONE OF US CAN CHOOSEWHERE WE SHALL LOVESUSAN KAY, PHANTOM

WHERE WE SHALL LOVE
SUSAN KAY, PHANTOM

FOLLOWING ALESSIA'S advice, Aspen took her next upcoming half day at work to good use and decided it was high time she visit Tonks again. By now, she'd been stationed at Hogsmeade for almost two weeks, and having heard no more about the bloody nose incident from her little sister, Aspen was hoping to dig out some information as well as provide well-needed company to her best friend.

It was just after lunchtime that she finished at work, and she stood in the twins' kitchen, accompanied - as per usual - by Fred Weasley. They'd just finished a more than satisfactory shepherd's pie, after which Fred had produced ice cream from "their shop" to follow up as dessert. It had made Aspen's heart race, the way he referred to it making her reconsider if it had been a date after all. He'd insisted that George wouldn't mind if he were a little late back to the shop floor as they indulged in her favourite flavours (despite him previously insisting he was a sorbet kind of guy), but Aspen wasn't sure and presumed he'd get a bollocking from his brother when he inevitably went back to work.

Afterwards, when he left back down the stairs looking a little more dejected than usual, Aspen began to imagine the snowy streets of Hogsmeade. It had been a long time since she'd been, and the image of it was a little cloudy in her mind. Still, she had fond memories of her time there buying up half of Honeydukes' stock the second she'd been allowed on her first Hogsmeade trip, and even chasing Tonks up to the supposedly haunted Shrieking Shack in their youth. Gripping her wand tightly, she squeezed her eyes shut and prepared for her trip.

Although it felt much longer, - she had never quite gotten used to apparition - she landed on the street within seconds, up to her ankles in freezing white snow. Shivering from lack of a jacket - she'd forgotten about the windchill that used to be far more reasonable under the cover of her robes - she hurriedly ran across to The Three Broomsticks, awaiting Tonks inside. Aspen found a table in the corner, hidden away suitably to provide cover for their gossip. The only issue she had with meeting in public meant almost anyone could be listening, and in the questionable climate of the Wizarding World, she was increasingly worried about information falling into the wrong hands.

She wasn't waiting for long before her friend came into view, and threw herself down clumsily into the seat across the table. It was Tonks, obviously, same face despite the subtle changes. Her cheekbones seemed more prominent now, her face narrower, and the bags beneath her eyes were growing increasingly dark. Most obviously of all, her usual shock of bright pink hair was a muted mousy brown, a colour as drab as the personality she seemed to be almost lacking nowadays.

"Wotcher, Aspen," she said as she tumbled into the seat, lacking her usual enthusiasm in the greeting.

"Tonks! Hi! How've you been?" Aspen asked, her voice laced with just enough sympathy that she hoped she didn't sound too condescending.