twelve

TWELVE

THE CAPACITY FOR FRIENDSHIP IS GOD'S
WAY OF APOLOGISING FOR OUR FAMILIES
JAY MCINERNEY, THE LAST OF THE SAVAGES

THE CAPACITY FOR FRIENDSHIP IS GOD'SWAY OF APOLOGISING FOR OUR FAMILIESJAY MCINERNEY, THE LAST OF THE SAVAGES

ASPEN ANDREWS had never seen her little sister so excited in all her life. Even though they'd had the tedious task of carting the Christmas decorations back into storage upon arriving home, it didn't seem that anything could dampen her spirits. Upon Aspen's suggestions to bake some cookies to bring to the Weasleys as a thank you for their hospitality, she groaned in distress, as if it were going to take too long and hold them back from getting to the Burrow. It was nothing a little Christmas music couldn't fix though, and with a flick of her wand, the radio was blaring some Alessia's favourite festive classics.

In the kitchen, they danced around the table and kneaded out the dough together, giggling away childishly as they worked. Aspen had forgotten how good it felt to hang out with her little sister, even just her company being enough to cheer her up immensely. By the time they'd popped the cookies into the oven, their stomachs were sore from laughter, and their cheeks from grinning.

"You'd better go pack anything you need. Clothes, presents and stuff, yeah?" Aspen said as she began to clean up, flicking her wand and levitating the dishes into the sink, where a sponge began to scrub at them until they were clean.

"Alright! You too, remember. I believe I was promised a mountain of presents," Alessia teased, shooting a wink in her direction before dashing out of the kitchen and into her room to fill her trunk with miscellaneous items to last the next two weeks.

Aspen chuckled at her enthusiasm, feeling beyond grateful to have her best friend back in the house. As time crept on, she realised she had best pack her own things, and retreated to her room to shove some clothes into her old trunk. On top, she placed the neatly packaged gifts she'd already gotten for her sister, and finally, the ones she'd bought for the twins. She didn't know if it was overstepping, or if she was overthinking their friendship by getting them something, but it only felt right considering how kind to her they had been since the start of the summer. She expected nothing in return - their employment was gift enough, she supposed, considering it was what payed the bills.

Finally done, she tugged her trunk out into the hall, groaning under the weight of it. Alessia was already there, lounging back on the couch with another copy of Witch Weekly propped up in her hands. Thelonious was rolling around in her lap, shedding little purple hairs across the cream couch, much to Aspen's annoyance. She said nothing though, unwilling to ruin the mood.

"I'll get the cookies out, ice them and we can go, yeah?" Aspen said, and Alessia let out a whoop of thrilled excitement.

Aspen disappeared back to the kitchen to retrieve the cookies from the oven. Steam enveloped the room, and she coughed a little as it engulfed her. Still, the cookies looked almost perfect, and she quickly popped them onto the counter, casting a cooling charm that would allow her to ice them immediately. As precisely as she could, she iced one for everyone - including Remus Lupin, who Alessia said would be joining everyone for Christmas. There were a few left over, and she drew on cartoonish images of holiday-themed items - trees, mistletoe and the like.