sixteen

SIXTEEN

WE ACCEPT THE LOVE WE
THINK WE DESERVE
STEPHEN CHBOSKY,
THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER

WE ACCEPT THE LOVE WETHINK WE DESERVESTEPHEN CHBOSKY, THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER

BRISK WINTER air tickled her nose as she stood outside of the Burrow. It was six o'clock, and the drama from Percy's visit was starting to die down as the Weasley family and their guests began to gather in the living room once again. Molly, recovered from earlier, was in the process of making snacks for everyone to indulge in, and yet most of the family were still stuffed from the delightful lunch. Instead of worrying about food for once, the twins had dragged Aspen outside, the glass bottle in hand.

"It's as simple as this," George started, uncorking the bottle easily and taking a sniff. "Spray - or rub, I suppose - some of the fragrance onto your wrists, and you'll start to float."

"And how am I meant to control it?" Aspen said, looking dubious. "I'd rather not float away forever and end up in the middle of nowhere."

"Don't be so dramatic," Fred scoffed, but there was a fondness in his eyes as he took the bottle from his brother and approached Aspen with it. "It's not strong enough to last that long. Besides, you just flap your arms a bit, like an owl."

"Bloody hell. I'm a fucking owl now, am I?" She complained, but it was the obviously the nerves talking as she eyed the bottle uncomfortably.

"Merlin, woman! You said you wanted to fly, now take the opportunity and do it, will you?" George said, getting impatient - it was clear he wanted a shot of his own, but they'd promised Aspen the first go.

"Alright, alright," she said, and nodded at Fred as she held out her wrists, the sleeves of her jumper rolled up to her elbows.

Fred moved closer, the bottle clasped tightly between his fingers. Before Aspen could protest again, he'd tipped it onto her wrist, and let a few droplets dribble onto her skin. It seemed to sink in almost immediately, and the strong smell of vanilla and lemon drifted upwards. Delicious as it was, she didn't have time to appreciate it, because before she knew what had happened, she no longer felt the safe, solid feeling of grass beneath her feet.

She couldn't help it as she released a shriek of dismay. Fred and George laughed uproariously from the ground, watching in delight as she floated slowly upwards. Every few seconds she gained another inch in height, until she was at least eight feet in the air and in line with the top of the massive Christmas tree they'd erected just a few nights before.

"Guys, this isn't funny! How do I get down?!" She screamed, as if they wouldn't be able to hear her from their spots just below her on the damp grass.

"Why go down," George started as he nabbed the bottle from Fred's hands and dripped some of the liquid onto his own wrists.

"When you can go up!" Fred finished, and swiftly followed George's lead.