fourteen

FOURTEEN

AND POSSIBLY I LIKE THE THRILL
OF UNDER ME YOU SO QUITE NEW
E.E. CUMMINGS

THREE DAYS later - Christmas Eve - was when the house really became hectic

THREE DAYS later - Christmas Eve - was when the house really became hectic. Molly Weasley was hurtling around the kitchen, making sure she had enough roast potatoes to choke a dragon with, and Arthur was subjected to fumbling after her, scribbling down a list of last minute items to buy. The rest of the household - apart from Remus, who was inside nursing a bottle of Wolfsbane for the full moon that evening - had dashed outside straight after breakfast for a fierce snowball fight.

It had been boys versus girls, a rule that Aspen had quickly decided she didn't mind even though they were slightly outnumbered. Ginny proved to be especially brutal, and absolutely obliterated her brothers with snowballs and insults from the very beginning. She'd had a soft spot for Harry, and noticeably targeted him less, but that didn't stop her from throwing the occasional mound of snow in his direction too. Fleur was also incredibly capable, and although it took her a little while to warm up to the game, she became fiercely competitive as soon as Bill had sent ice flying down the back of her jumper. Alessia just seemed happy to be included in the big family, for she'd never had a proper snowball fight like this, and seemed content just to take part in the festivities.

Aspen had mostly stayed on the sidelines, watching the boys get pummelled by Ginny's incredible aim. She had no doubt that this was why she proved to be a star Chaser on the Gryffindor Quidditch team, imagining she would have no trouble putting the Quaffle through the goals almost every time. It was this stream of thoughts that distracted her long enough for the twins to ambush her at the very same time, and before she knew it, she had been pelted in the face with freezing cold snow.

She shrieked, a shiver racing up her spine at the shock of the chill. Beside her, the two boys were laughing hysterically, and she had the right mind to grab her wand and hex them into the new year. As she swiped the snow from her eyelashes, teeth chattering, she missed the vaguely worried look on Fred's face as he realised he might have hurt her. If it did, he'd never know, because in the very next second she'd bent over to scoop up a generous pile of snow and launched it in his direction.

"Serves you right, Weasley," she called over her shoulder, bolting away to avoid another hit. As she went, she bewitched another bundle of snowballs to fly after the twins, who she could hear yelping over her shoulder - "bloody hell, woman!"

After that, while the rest trundled inside in their sodden clothes and received a harsh scolding for dripping melted snow all over the kitchen tiles, Aspen, Fred and George got ready for work. They'd apparated into the apartment, ready to open up shop as soon as Verity arrived - they were opening late for the holidays. George was smirking like a little boy in a sweet shop, hoping someone would mention the awkward kiss from the night before, but Fred and Aspen ignored it as if it had never happened. Instead, she disappeared into the kitchen to make lunch, appreciative of the distraction.

"Any requests?" She asked, looking hopefully back at them as they wandered into the kitchen behind her. Admittedly, there wasn't much choice, as the shelves were fairly sparse considering they were living back home for the time being.