seven

SEVEN

WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW,YOU DON'T MISSCECILIA AHERN, LOVE, ROSIE

YOU DON'T MISS
CECILIA AHERN, LOVE, ROSIE

IT WAS a Sunday evening, and the sun was riding low upon the clouds, disappearing like a dive into the ocean. Nymphadora Tonks sat opposite Aspen on the couch, both women curled up with a glass of Merlot cradled in their fists. Both wore troubled expressions, knees tucked up beneath them as they settled in for the night.

"So tell me what's wrong," Aspen demanded as softly as her nosiness would allow, the setting light from the window casting a delicate shadow across her face.

"Nothing's wrong. I'm just busy with work and the Order," Tonks insisted, shooting her friend an unconvincing smile from behind the rim of her wine-stained glass.

"You know I know you better than that. Is it... is it Sirius? I know you were becoming closer recently."

Aspen worried bringing up Sirius so soon after his death was a dangerous game to play. She'd never been the best at dealing with tears, unless they were her sister's, and the thought of Tonks breaking down in front of her was admittedly rather scary.

"Sort of," she said, raking her fingertips through her muted hair. "I mean, I'm sad about it. Devastated, to be honest. But there's something else."

"What? Has someone hurt you? I swear I'll-."

"No!" Tonks cut Aspen off before she could spill out her usual defensive friend spiel. "Well, not intentionally. It's Remus."

Aspen sympathised immediately. Had they not both been holding the glasses of the deep burgundy wine on a cream coloured couch, she would have flung herself onto her best friend to indulge in a hug. Instead, she reached out a hand to give Tonks' a squeeze, her eyebrows knitting together in dismay.

"Did you finally speak to him? About y'know - liking him?" Aspen asked, treading carefully.

"Loving him, you mean. I did. And he said he feels the same-"

"That's amazing! Isn't it?" Aspen cut her off prematurely, bouncing a little in her seat with excitement.

"Well it would have been, if he hadn't rejected me. He said he's too old, too poor, too dangerous. Isn't that some bollocks?"

Aspen sighed, and she watched as Tonks coiled in on herself, sipping desperately at her wine as if it would cure her of her sadness. It was soul-destroying to see her once over-eager jubilance fade away.