twenty-nine

TWENTY-NINE

LOVE, WHAT A RARE, INEXPLICABLE
STATE OF BEING AS WELL AS FEELING
E.A. BUCCHIANERI, VOCATION OF A GADFLY

"IT'S PERFECT, Fleur," Aspen insisted for the umpteenth time

"IT'S PERFECT, Fleur," Aspen insisted for the umpteenth time. She wasn't sure how she had ended up there, performing the job of a bridesmaid, but there she was, adjusting the goblin-made tiara that sat upon Fleur's head all the same.

Ginny was sitting back against the bed with Alessia, watching with an amused smirk on her face. Gabrielle was in the corner, 'fixing' her lipstick despite how perfectly it framed her lips anyway. She looked much older than eleven now, and Ginny was eyeing her irritably every time she made a passing comment about Harry Potter's good looks.

"Are you sure?" Fleur asked, dubious despite how obviously gorgeous she looked. She brushed her fingertips tentatively across the diamonds and moonstones that scattered the top of the tiara.

"Aunt Muriel's not helped, has she?" Ginny quipped to Alessia in the background, although the others were too distracted to notice. "The old bat's made her feel bad for being French! She can hardly help that, can she?"

"Certain," Aspen said, reaching down to squeeze Fleur's hands in reassurance. "Now it's almost half three. We'd better get downstairs, or Bill'll think you've left him at the altar."

The five girls descended the stairs, halting in the kitchen. Aspen approached the window cautiously, peeking out across the garden. The marquee was almost full to the brim by now, and Fred, George, Ron and Harry — although he was disguised as a rather chubby Weasley cousin — were the only ones outside, waiting for any final few stragglers to direct to their seats.

"It's almost time, I reckon," Aspen said, turning back to face the congregation in the kitchen. "We'd better go find our seats, Alessia."

"Right," Alessia said, looking surprisingly keen. "Good luck, Fleur!"

"Not that you'll need it," Aspen added, shooting her sister a glare as she wrapped her arms around Fleur one last time. "I'm so happy for you."

"Thank you, girls," Fleur said, her voice wobbling slightly, although the excitement still seemed to be outweighing the nerves.

Aspen and Alessia pushed open the creaking backdoor and ambled across the grass towards the marquee. The boys seemed pleased that they were arriving, and by the looks of it, they were the final guests to find their seats. The large group of them trundled towards the front, slipping easily into place. Fred and George lead Aspen to their seats in the front row, and she wondered what she had possibly done to deserve a space of such importance. Behind them, Alessia, Ron, Hermione and Harry — or rather, 'Barny' — filed into their own seats, waiting for the ceremony to start.

A warm buzz seemed to have filled the tent. Guests were murmuring with elated anticipation, and occasionally, Hagrid's deep guffaw could be heard over the crowd. Just on time, Molly and Arthur strolled up the aisle, hand-in-hand and smiling brightly at their relatives. Moments later, Bill and Charlie followed, both sporting similar dress robes with large white roses in their buttonholes. Fred let out a garish wolf-whistle that attracted the attention of the Veela cousins, who giggled girlishly. Defensively, as if to mark her territory, Aspen tugged Fred closer, entwining their fingers and resting her head against his shoulder. He didn't complain, smirking at the sudden bout of attention before resting his hand atop of her thigh.