thirty-four

THIRTY-FOUR

SOME PEOPLE'S WEAKNESS IS THAT
THEY CARE TOO MUCH;
IT IS ALSO THEIR STRENGTH
BRIGITTE NICOLE

SOME PEOPLE'S WEAKNESS IS THAT THEY CARE TOO MUCH; IT IS ALSO THEIR STRENGTHBRIGITTE NICOLE

THE FLAT seemed very quiet in Alessia's absence. She'd only been gone a few days, a week at most, and yet Aspen found anytime not spent at work to be frightfully boring. The twins had been working more so than ever to ensure profit as Dark powers continued to rise, and Aspen fretted for them as more frequently than ever, businesses in Diagon Alley seemed to be closing down.

She'd received her very first letter from Alessia five days into her stay at Hogwarts. A pit of despair grew in her stomach at the sight of Sinatra arriving, letter tied tightly to his left ankle as he swooped into the kitchen. For some reason, she could tell already that the news would not be particularly cheerful.

 For some reason, she could tell already that the news would not be particularly cheerful

The ever-growing knot in Aspen's stomach tightened. It was only a matter of time until things got worse, she supposed, and she wondered whether Alessia's next letter would include further grievances to make her worry even more. Then again, she wasn't sure what she'd expected — there was no possible way that Hogwarts would have been normal with the Ministry now falling under more sinister control.

At work, Verity had informed Aspen on some rather devastating news. She'd known all too well of the new rule — for the first time, attendance was mandatory at Hogwarts for all under eighteens with magic blood. Yet, Verity had heard from her Aunt Agnes — who seemed rather the exceptional gossip — that there were a hefty number of muggle-borns defying the rules and going into hiding. Even Ginny Weasley's ex-boyfriend Dean Thomas had gone on the run as his absent father meant many presumed he was a muggle-born rather than a half-blood.

"It's all rather tragic, isn't it?" Aspen had said as they pulled the blinds shut at the front of the shop.

The store had not been quite as busy as it usually was, given the world's disastrous climate. Verity didn't seem to mind — it was less work for them — but Aspen often worried whether the twins' success would reach a standstill. They almost seemed unfazed, and as usual, had a solution to everything. At that very moment, they were tucked away in their office, sorting out order forms for a more remote attempt at service.