Prologue

"Happy Birthday 'My Joy', make a wish" mom said. She had surprised me with a backyard barbecue for my 14th birthday. My family and a small group of friends were standing around, with party hats and giant smiles.

I told my mom I didn't really want a party this year, but I'm honestly not surprised. Mom has always made a big deal out of our birthdays or really anything she could celebrate about her family: I remember my 'first lost tooth Ice cream party' or your a woman: 'Period Party'. It's her way of showing us how much she loves us.

I close my eyes tight to make a wish and blow out my candles. Faith and Jewel, my little sisters, come running up to me "Happy Birthday JoyJoy" they say giving me a big hug before following mom to get cake.

Dad walks up to me and gives me a kiss on my forehead. "Happy birthday sweetie" he says with a big smile.

"So this is moms idea of not celebrating" I say with fake annoyance in my voice.  He smiles but doesn't say anything as we both look across the yard to my mom who is passing out cake and talking animatedly with each person she comes to.

I nudge him with my shoulder, "I blame you too, your suppose to keep her reigned in".

He doesn't believe my fake irritation for one second though. He gives a quiet laugh and smiles across the yard in my moms direction. "Well she did scale it back some, before you said you didn't want to celebrate this year she had a rented a blow up slide".

My eyes grow large at this and a laugh escapes, "she's crazy."

My dad just nods but has a twinkle in his eye with a loving look directed at my mom who is headed this way with cake.

"Alright you two, eat your cake and mingle." I take a bite of cake and pop a kiss on moms cheek before walking off to join my friends.

—————————————————————————

I don't own any of the picture used in the book, most were Pinterest finds!

Thanks for reading I hope you enjoy...