23

Another happy dream wakes me. I'm sure I am the only person who is haunted my good dreams. The dreams are always so simple and carefree, making my complicated reality difficult to wake up to. I debate watching a scary movie tonight, maybe a nightmare would be better than my current dreams.

I turn looking on either side of me, both boys still sleep soundly. Looking towards Henry handsome face, I can't help but be thankful for his help last night. I've heard some rumors at school about him being dangerous and I can see how just the look of him could be intimidating. He is a large guy with big muscular arms and tattoos that cover a fair amount of his body, but Henry has done nothing but show me kindness.

I'm trying my best to ignore the butterflies in my stomach when he's around but it's hard. He already has so many girl that flock after him I don't want to be in that category. But when he said 'My Joy' last night it made my heart and belly flutter.

A flash on the nightstand flickers, signaling I have a text. Thankful it distracted me from staring at Henry's handsome face, it would be totally embarrassing to be caught staring at him sleeping, I slide out of bed and grab my phone.

Seeing a group text with Casey and Ben:

Casey: How are you feeling today?
Me: ok, kind of a long night.
Casey: I'm sorry, did I wake you?
Me: no not at all, moving slow. I just need
coffee!!!!!!!!
Casey: Want to go to the coffee cafe, I can pick you up in 15?
Me: My hero, see you soon!

Going into my closet to change I put on a comfy T-shirt dress and my slide my feet into some sandals. My arm is sore and and I'm trying to move it as least as possible as I readjust it back into the sling. I grab a pain pill from my night stand, and glance at the boys, unable to fight the smile that comes to my lips. They are both still sound asleep almost snoring in unison. Quietly closing my bedroom door behind me I enter the bathroom to finish getting ready before Casey arrives.

I've just walked out the front door as Casey pulls up, getting in I sit down and pretend to be a zombie. "Cof-fe.... need cof-fe or eat brains" I joke.

She giggles but pulls away quickly making the tires squeal causing both of us to laugh.

We laughed and sing way too loud to the music on the way to the coffee shop. Walking in we see Ben sitting at a table waving at us. Surprised we both walk over happy to see him.

"I was up saw the text and didn't want y'all to have the burden of missing me."

We both laugh but hug him happy he is there.

After grabbing our coffee we sit down and Ben is there first to ask even though I see the curiosity in Casey's eyes as well. "Paul said you fell and hurt your arm but it looks like you were in a fight. What the heck happened to your face?"

Looking in the mirror this morning my eye and cheek was a colorful mix of purple and blue, almost matching the blue sling I wore on my arm. It did look awful but I didn't care, just wanting coffee and the company of a friend I ignored it.

"Nothing scandalous I promise. The guys were fighting and I came downstairs, they didn't even know was there. One of them was pushed back into me causing me to fall back. I landed wrong on my arm and their elbow got me in the face." Trying to leave Kent's name out of it, he has enough problems without Ben saying anything to him.

Ben easy go smile was gone, staring at me like he knew I was hiding something.

"It looks like it hurts. Are you in pain?" Casey asked breaking mine and bens staring contest.

"My face, not at all. My arm does some, but I just took a pain pill before you picked me up so it's getting better."

Thankfully Casey changed the subject to things I've missed at school and Ben easy going smile was back. We stayed at the coffee shop for a few hours talking and laughing.

"What time does your dad and sisters come in today" Casey asked.

With just the mention of my family my chest hurts. "My sisters are sick so dad said they would have to reschedule". I cant hide the sadness in my voice. With everything that happened last night I had forgotten to call and check on my sisters this morning. Reaching for my phone, I realized I must have left it at home. I made a mental note to call dad when I get back.

Casey reaches across the table gently squeezing my hand. "I'm sorry, I know you miss them."

I swallow the lump in my throat and give a weak smile.

"Ok, I can't take all the sad faces." Ben says grabbing our attention. "Project make today awesome is underway." Casey and I laugh but agree to his plans.

Ben convinced us to go with him to see an action movie. He spoiled us both with popcorn, chocolate, and soda. We were the only ones in the theater and laughed way to much for the serious plot line.

After the movie I'm surprised when Ben takes us to the mall. But Instead of shopping we take turn picking out the most ridiculous outfits for each other to try on. After all the laughing I feel like I've done a full an workout.

I'm so thankful for their friendship. I was so depressed when the day started but these two made it a perfect day. It gave me the distraction I needed from my dysfunctional family, my current arm pain, and my unwanted thoughts of Henry.

Sadly, Casey had to leave after the movie to meet up with her family. Not ready for the day to end yet Ben and I decided to stop for pizza.

Waiting on our pizza, "So who's elbow colored your face?"

Catching me off guard I look up at him, he had a smile on his face but his eyes seem more intense.

"It was an accident" I say in response.

"I didn't say it wasn't." Not use to seeing him so serous it was intimidating.

We held each other's in a stare before I finally conceded, "I was standing on the steps, Kent was pushed back and fell on top of me, his elbow got me in the eye."

A hardened look passes his face before the pizza arrived and my happy Ben was back being silly.

Pulling into the drive way I'm surprised to see all of my brothers vehicles and a few more as well. There was no school today but it is very rare that they are all home on any night, let alone a Friday night.

"Y'all having a party tonight?"

Shrugging my shoulders "not sure".

Ben hops out first walking around the truck he opens my door helping me out of his big truck.

We turn to go into the house but the front door slams open. "Where have you been?" A familiar but angry voice yells from the now open front door.

Im confused to see a very angry Sean moving my way. Kent, Paul and Henry quickly file out behind him. A mixture of relief and anger on their faces.

I'm instantly worried, "I was out with friends. What's wrong? What's happened?"