15

The school week passed quickly, some of the work was new but not too challenging.  I spent most of PE and lunch talking with Casey. I learned she had 1 older brother that was away at college and both her parents were elementary teachers. They had moved here in the middle of the last year, she explained she was shy and hadn't really made any friends.

Before I knew it, Friday was here. I had talked to my dad this morning and and couldn't contain my excitement when he told me they were planning to visit in two weeks. This week was turning out to be great. Even Kent seemed to have accepted us having class together.

Walking in the gym for PE, Coach handed out our new uniforms sending us to the lockers. I learned earlier in the week that Mr. Henley aka Coach, our PE teacher was also the schools beloved football coach.

After changing, he divided the class in teams of 6 to play volleyball. I'm no star athlete, but I have always loved volleyball so I was excited. Casey and I huddled beside each other, excited we got called on the same team. Not paying attention to who else was on our team I was surprised when Kent was right in front of me. Like he does anytime we're within 6 feet of each other he looked angry.

Casey whispered "What did you do to Kent, he keeps glaring your way". I learned quickly in the week that my brothers were popular. Often hearing about their 'mad skills' on the field or how attractive the girls thought they were.

Use to his dislike for me, I shrugged my shoulders and whispered back, "I was born", causing her to give me a puzzled look.

She knew I had four older brothers that I lived with and two little sisters back home but to be honest I kinda zoomed thru all the details. Casey had a basic nuclear family and I was a little worried of what my new friend might think of my drama filled existence.

She looked like she was about to question my response when Ben, another teammate interrupts. "Red, we meet again! Are you following me...should I be worried?" Ben and I have a lot of classes together and he says the same thing every time he sees me. He can be super flirtatious, and enjoys making me blush but under all  that he is kind and funny.

I tend to be a little quiet and shy until I get to know you better but Ben doesn't seem to mind always filling in the silence with chatter. After 1 week I could probably write a biography on the guy.

"Yeah, run why you can" I joke. He laughs and I send a quick smile his way. Ben has brown buzzed hair, he looks to be about 5'9 and though shorter than most the guys in gym he makes up for it with a wide muscular stance.

Coach blows the whistle, getting our attention for directions. Quickly following direction our group forms a circle warming up before we get called to play. Casey warned me she is not athletic at all, and you can tell because she looks super uncomfortable every time the ball comes near her. I stand closer to her to intercept some of her bumps and she gladly steps back, sending a appreciative smile my way.

Casey is on one side of me and Ben is on the other. Not being able to be silent long Ben breaks the silence, "Red your good, do you play volleyball"?

"Not on a team or anything, but it's fun to play". Kent sends a little spike Bens way and he easily digs it up towards me and I bump it across the circle.

Coach calls our team up for our first match. Ben and Kent are both on the football team and naturally seem athletic and competitive. We win the match quickly and leave the court so the next teams can compete.

"So are you girls coming to the game tonight?" Ben ask as we walks besides me and Casey.

"No, family plans" Casey answers.