22

Henry's POV

It had been a long day, as much as I love my family they can be exhausting. I helped bus tables at my step moms bar for most of the day until my dad called me in to help with the " family business".

My two older step-brothers are out of town chasing a a bounty upstate. Dad had heard through an informant that a big bounty was passing thru. He had called and said he needed me to ride shotgun on this one. Meaning the guy we were going after must me one big, dangerous criminal.

Dad taught Boaz and Silas, my step brothers, everything they know about the business. They usually will "hunt" with them on big cases but other than that dad usually prefers to handle it alone. My dad, whom everyone has called Tank since I can remember has earned that name. We are both tall at 6'2 but he is a solid mass of muscle.  So when dad called I told Mags, my step mom, the situation before leaving the bar to meet up with dad.

The guy was a hard take down, the man was big and dangerous with a long rap sheet. I was excited and proud to walk the man in to the police station with my dad.  After we collected our bounty we headed home to enjoy a beer together.

I'm underage but Tank could care less about a number. He has considered me a man since I caught my first bounty at 15. 

After a quick drink my adrenaline rush comes crashing down and I'm out by the time my head hits the pillow.

——-

Feeling the vibration of my phone in my pocket wakes me. I slide the phone out of my pocket checking the time seeing I've only been asleep for 30 minutes, the phone buzzes again snapping me out of my daze. Seeing Kent's name across my screen I huff in annoyance but answer. "Seriously dude, it's after 2. Not all of us are party animals".

"Hi Henry, it's Joy. I'm sorry but I was hoping you could help me". Surprise at hearing Joys sweet, timid voice makes me jolt up in bed. I shove my feet in my shoes and head out grabbing my keys on the way.

"I'm on my way, where are you?"

I try to keep her on the phone but she quickly hangs up after telling me to come to their house. I speed the entire trip and get their in half the time regardless of the rain.

Getting out of my truck I take in the scene and the smell. It's dark and raining and my stupid best friend is drunk and passed out on Joys lap. I love the guy but he is trying to party himself to the grave.

The rain is starting to come down a little harder but it does nothing to wash away the smell.

"Joy, are you ok?"

I'm confused why she didn't get her brothers or dad but she quickly answered my unasked question.

Yes, I'm sorry I called do late, he asked me not to tell them.

Kent's not a bad guy, or he use to not be. As a child other parents and kids saw my dad pick me up from elementary school on his motorcycle covered in tattoos and warned their kids to stay away. But Kent was my first friend, he just started sitting beside me one day, walked right up to my dad after school and told him I was coming over to his house for cookies.

When his mom died he turned to drugs and alcohol making the Kent we know disappear. His new 'don't care attitude' is frustrating at times but tonight I'm beyond pissed and angry by his selfishness.

He has been nothing but rude to Joy since she arrived. But here she is outside keeping him from dying in a puddle of his own vomit. She is drenched from the rain and covered in Kent's vomit.

I pull him off of her and adjust him on my shoulder, the movement causing Kent to dry heave. "That's right buddy you better be dry, the things I do for your sorry butt".

Slowly making it up the steps I head to Kent's door but Joy shakes her head. "Not in there, put him in my room. I don't want him to be alone." She hesitates before adding "in case he gets sick again".

"He is covered in vomit" and so are you I think to myself. "I'm gonna take him to the shower first at least spray off the vomit".

She looks down at herself finally seeing her vomit covered shirt. "I'll help, and wash up too". Once in the bathroom I place Kent down and take off my own vomit covered shirt.  Joy and me work together to get most of Kent clothes off leaving his boxers and spray ourselves off as well.

I'm exhausted by the time I place Kent on Joys bed. Looking at my best friend I hardly see him anymore. Tomorrow he is gonna hear it. I'm no longer quietly going to watch him destroy himself.

Joy steps out of the closet in new pajamas covered in penguins. If it's possible they make me attracted to her even more. Everything about joy is sweet, kind, and loving. She is sexy in a way I never thought was possible.

She notices me staring and her cheeks turn red. Walking closer, I'm taken aback when her arms wrap quickly around me and she mumbles " thank you".  Im so surprised I don't even have time to wrap my arms around her before she has already stepped back and gives me a shy smile.

After I snap out of my shock and frustration of  my failed chance to hold her.  "Anytime" my hand moves on their own to gently rub her bruised cheek. Remembering, "where is your arm sling....are you in pain?"

She walks away to her bedside table sliding a blue fabric over her head before adjusting it. "Pains not too bad, but I'm overdue for a pain pill," she says before swallowing one.

If Kent was awake I might punch him unconscious again for being so selfish. I know he felt guilty yesterday for her injuries but I hate knowing she's in pain. Her arm must be hurting, I saw the drag marks in the grass where she must have tried to drag him before calling me. She helped me to undress and shower him without complaining.

She slides into her bed beside Kent, she looks exhausted and I figure it's my time to go. "Alright, I'm gonna head out. Call me if you need me" I say as I turn to the door.

"Stop, you can't drive this late and you look exhausted. It's almost 4am, just stay here tonight", she offers.

Hesitating, because I am exhausted I hear movement behind me "you can have the bed, I can sleep on the floor".

I turn around frustrated with her suggestion, does she honestly believe I'm the type of guy who would take her bed and make her sleep on the floor.

She misreads my frustration "I'm sorry you can go if you want, I know we woke you. You just looked so tired I was worried about you driving".

I stomp over to the bed and encouraging her to get under the covers. After she does I slide in behind her. "Call anytime, I'm not made you called I'm pissed you think I'd be the kind of guy who would let you sleep on the floor."

She is still and quiet, I would think she was asleep if her body wasn't so tense. "Goodnight my Joy" I say to let her now I mean her no harm, her body instantly relaxes and within minutes her steady breathing lets me know she is asleep.