2

Sending a group text to Max and Kate

    Me: Dads working late today. Can I still take you up on the school shopping offer?

Max: sure, 11?

Me: thanks, I will have the girls with me too

Kate: your up way too early but..... YAY!! Excited to get our shop on!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kate: Now stop texting I'm going back to sleep

Max: W
Max: A
Max: K
Max: E
Max: U
Max: P

[Kate has left your group]

Me: tread carefully Max, revenge is her specialty

Max: Baby sis don't scare me, I taught her everything she knows. See ya @ 11

Placing my phone down I can't stop the grin on my face.  I've known Max and Kate forever and they are my best friends. Their dad, Jake, is my dads best friend and business partner.

Max is 17 and will be a junior with me this year.  Max is not shy but doesn't really talk a lot either. He's what some would label the strong silent type, unless you know him then he's a chatter box. He often jokes that Kate uses her maximum words allowed for the day and some of his too, and I would have to agree.

Kate is 15 and a sophomore this year. She is fun, outgoing, and a little crazy at times but she can be fiercely protective and loving of her friends and family.  We balance each other out well because she tries to pull me out of my shell and I calm her crazy.

Plans made for the day, Now I just gotta get the girls feed and ready. Deciding to start the day right for them I make Mickey Mouse pancakes using chocolate chips for the eyes just like mom use to do.

"JuJu, Faith time to wake up" I say as I turn the light on.

I hear light complaining and yawning from both of them... but neither make a move to get up yet.

"I made pancakes!" They both pop out of bed racing to the kitchen.

"It's Mickey pancakes Faith" Jewel yells as if Faith can't see them. Turning to me with the biggest smile and a hug around my waist "thanks Joy, your the best".

" Your welcome" I say returning her hug.
"Now eat up".

" Ya thanks.... so good" Faith says around a mouthful of food.

I cut up Jewels pancakes for her and tell the girls the plan for the day. They are both so excited to go shopping for school supplies. The rest of the morning rushes by in a mix of chores and helping the girls get ready to leave.

At exactly 11 I get a text from Kate stating they are outside and we all head out to Max's car. The girls get in back with Kate and I sit up front. For the next 30 minutes our ear drums are tortured with Kate, Faith, and Jewel singing as loud as they can to every song on the radio.

After 3 hours of shopping we are all exhausted and Jewel is getting whiny. So Kate attempts to cheer her up by leading us all into the ice cream parlor. The line is a little long so Kate and Max offer to run our bags to the car while we wait.

Jewel has reached her 6 year old shopping limit. "My feet hurt Joy and I'm tired" Jewel whines.  I pick her up and she rest her head on my shoulder.

Feeling the same way but figuring it would be counterproductive if I acted the same way, instead the mature side of me answers. "After this we can go home and rest a bit before meeting up with dad for dinner, ok sweetie."

" Ok. Can I get sprinkles on my ice cream?" She say with the attention of a squirrel.

Before I can answer the line starts to move and I drop my purse trying to juggle Jewel and it. I'm about to ask Faith for help when an an older man behind me in line picks it up.

"I think you got an armful" he says as he hands me my bag". I haven't been paying much attention and I'm not really sure when the two men got behind us in line.

" Thank you, ya she is a little tired" I say.

"Shopping can do that" I nod not knowing what else to say I notice another younger man standing behind  him and he is just staring. I smile and turn towards Faith who is still deciding on what flavor to get. The line has moved and we are next to order.

I look out towards the mall and see Max and Kate walking back towards us.

"Are you looking for someone" the man behind me ask looking in the direction I was looking. 
"Sorry yes, here comes my friends. Thanks again". I turn back around so Im not encouraging the stranger to talk.

Kate runs up just in time to order her ice cream after Faith. I order chocolate ice cream with extra sprinkles for both me and Jewel. She perks up a little at this lifting her head off my shoulder. We both have a love for sprinkles!

After Max orders he turns towards me and Jewel coaxing her, "Hey Jewel let me hold ya for a bit so Joy can eat her ice cream". She nods and lets him lift her up into his much stronger arms.

I mouth a silent thank you to him, he smiles.

While waiting on our ice cream Kate comes up hooking her arm through mine. She leans in close whispering "hey did you see the men behind us, the younger one is HOT!" I shake my head because this is typical Kate. She shuffles us a bit so we can look at them without being obvious.

"Ok don't panic but he is looking this way".

"Kate they are both way, way to old for you" I scold.  Kate is beautiful and could easily pass as a model with her 5'8 height. She has long tan legs, pin straight brunette hair, and the most beautiful green eyes. We are complete opposites in every way with my auburn wavy hair, Grey/blue eyes,  pale skin that refuses to tan, and my short statue of 5'3. 

"I didn't say anything about dating him, he is just really, really nice to look at" she says while stealing glances at the man behind us.  Her ice cream gets called and she reluctantly takes her eyes of the man to walk up and grab it.

Max comes my way holding Jewel in one arm, he wraps his other around my shoulders and I lean my head on his shoulder. I hear a voice close behind, but didn't really make out what they said. Max must have because he straightens up and glares at the younger of the men behind us.

I think they are having some type of manly stare down. Why, I'm not really sure but they both seem intimidating. Max is 6'1 with brunette hair and brown eyes similar to his sisters. He has more muscles than most boys his age from all the summers working at JJ construction. He holds Jewel like she is a feather, not straining whatsoever.

The guy staring him down is a little taller maybe 6'2 with hair so dark it almost looks black. He is older too, at least in his 20's and his clothes screams he has money with his fancy jeans and blazer. Though his arms are covered you can tell he is muscular as well but the most noticeable thing is how his jaw looks stiff and pointed, making him look angry and a little dangerous.

Thankfully, our ice cream is called and the boys staring competition ends when Jewel startles us all when she yells "sprinkles".

I'm thankful when we grab our ice cream and leave for home. It wasn't until we get home that I notice my phone is missing.

————————————————————-
I hope your enjoying the story so far ( I know it's starting a little slow.... hold out there will be drama before you know it lol).

I've had these characters in my mind for awhile and I love seeing them come 'to life'.
I'm curious if people like to read the description and imagine the characters themself or like when people provide pictures.

Thanks for reading! Don't forget to rate.