4

After my short nap, Max left to get him and Kate clothes for the night and pick up our pizza. I helped the girls with baths and Kate painted their nails. By the time Max walked in with the pizza we were all in our pajamas and ready for our movie marathon.

After the second movie Jewel, Faith, and Kate had all fallen asleep.  Max helped me carry the younger girls to to their bed. Kate was rolled up and asleep on the smaller couch.

I was laying down on the other couch reading while Max sat at the other end playing on his phone. My feet were propped up on lap. It was always this easy with us. We didn't have to entertain each other, we were happy just resting in each other's company.

"It's getting late, do you think they changed their mind about bringing my phone here?"

Continuing to look at his phone, "Maybe something came up. I'm sure if they were nice enough to to call your dad they will follow thru."

I nodded even though he wasn't looking.

Kate's loud snore broke the silence causing both of us to laugh. She then mumbled a few words and rolled back over. Max shook his head "unbelievable, she even talks in her sleep."

"How are you feeling about school?" Max asked suddenly making my laughter sober up.

"Nervous, excited, scared, nervous.... It helps that we have classes together and I know a few of your friends. Plus me and Kate have the same lunch and art together." He waited patiently letting me sort out my thoughts.

That's ones of my favorite things about Max, he really is a great listener and he can always tell when there are things on my mind.

"I guess I'm happy to go but every time I even think about it memories of my mom come. She devoted most of her life to being a stay at home mom and teaching us. I want to make her proud."

"We both know you could flunk out and your mom would still be proud of you. Your smart and kind just like she taught you to be. Plus you got me as a friend, so your golden" he says with a cheeky grin.

Max tickles my feet causing me to remove them from his lap. He stands up stretching, "It's late, I'm going to take a shower. You heading to bed?"

"Ya in just a bit, I'm gonna read for a little longer."

I read a few pages in my book to distract myself from thought of school and the possibility of not getting my phone back.

Hearing the shower turn off I know it's time to call it a night. Just as I stand the door bell rings, I look at the clock and see that it is almost 10:30. I head to the door and peek through the window seeing two familiar looking men. It takes me a minute to place them as the men from the ice cream parlor today. I open the door slightly stepping out. I leave the door cracked behind me and give a hesitant "Hello".

"Sorry we are here so late, our meeting ran over" the older man replies. They are both in suits and Max's words about something must have come up run through my mind. The older man seems a little older than my dad. His hair is grey with a few dark hairs scattered throughout. Him and the younger man must be related, they both have that strong jaw line that makes them look unfriendly until they smile. He reaches in his pocket and pulls out my phone.

"Its ok, thank you so much for bringing it, I can't believe I lost it". The younger man flinches and almost looks guilty before his face turns back to indifference. Just as I reach for my phone the door opens behind me and Max appears with just a pair of shorts on still wet from his shower.

For the first time the younger man speaks and offers his hand to Max. "Hi I'm Dave, and you are....?Though his words seem innocent and nice his face and tone do not. I look to his face and then to the older mans, and they both seem angry.

Max takes his hand and and they do some weird firm handshake with way to much eye contact.

A nervous laugh escapes causing them to break their contact and they all look at me. " This is Max, a friend of mine. Thanks again for bringing my phone". The older man holds out my phone and I take it feeling better the second it's in my possession.

Both men continue to stand in the doorway and I honestly don't know how to end this awkward exchange. Thankfully, Max takes control putting his hand on my waist, guiding me back so he can close the door. The younger man, Dave, quickly extends his arm preventing Max from closing the door. Just as Max step in front of me I see my dad pull into the driveway.

His car door slams loudly before I hear dad yell, "What do you think you are doing at my house? You have no right to be here, leave now!" It scares and shocks me because dad never raises his voice.

I can see the two men have turned toward my dad and I'm scared for him, I duck under Max's arm past the men to my dad  "Dad" I yell as I hug him.
I've always seen my dad as a harmless, kind man. To others he might seem a little threatening with his large build and rough exterior from all the years working construction.

The men don't talk or make a move to leave. My dad holds me tight to his side. I turn my head to look at the men, their faces are scary with the hateful looks they are sending my dad. "Last time I'm asking.... leave" my dad says in an quiet but threatening tone.

"Now" I hear Max say from the doorway. We all look towards him. He is now holding the bat we keep by the front door and Kate is beside him with bed head and wide eyes taking everything in.

The older man looks directly at me and his face softens as he speaks in a calm voice, "Sorry for scaring you, it was not our intentions. We will be leaving now."

He looks back to my dad, his face hardening and his tone almost threatening. "You will be hearing from us soon, we have a lot to discuss".

The older man has to push the younger man to get him moving. We all just stand there watching them go before dad ushers me and my friends inside. We all bombarde him with questions before he raises his hand saying it was not anything to worry about tonight. He kisses my forehead and tells us all to go to bed.