17

Kent's POV

"About last night" Henry says as he turns down the music in my car. It had been a wild weekend with the game, after party, and fist flying. I'm driving home, Paul is in the backseat sleeping, while our friend Henry is riding shotgun.

I keep my eyes on the road as he continues, "You gotta cut that crap out". The 'crap' he was referring to was constant need to punch idiots, but in my defense they were talking about my family.

"Coach said anymore trouble and your benched the rest of the season."

I roll my eyes "They had it coming, Brad and his friends are always running their mouths about something. I should have done the world a favor and broke his jaw, let them wire that trap of his shut".

I can see Henry shake his head but his smile betrays him. He hates that guy as much as I do, but he doesn't want to see me kicked off the team.

"I'm sure he did. Be smarter about it next time, not In the middle of a party with so many witnesses and cameras on you. It will be all over the internet tomorrow, if coach see's your benched. Get me next time....I would like a reason to punch that punk again."

Henry and Brad went a couple rounds last year when Henry's girlfriend, Kelsey, was sneaking around on him. Brad ran his mouth a few too many times, and then one day Brad mysteriously showed up to school with his mug looking like meatloaf. Henry is a big guy and has a bad reputation because of his families bounty hunting business. Rumors ran rampant about what happened, but Brad never said a thing. However, you can't help but notice how Brad avoids Henry like he's the devil himself.

Brad and Kelsey became an item after but it didn't last long. I know Kelsey and Henry still hook up when he's drunk but he would never get back with her.

I laugh but agree. "I Got it, next time: dark alley, no cameras, invite friends to join".

A loud snore vibrates from the back seat, reminding me of my unconscious brother. An  idea forms and a smile spreads across my face. "Hold on" I warn Henry as I turn fast and furious style into the driveway. The sudden turn causes Paul's head to slam into the window.

He jolts up holding his hand to his head. Seeing no immediate danger he looks at me accusingly.

"Seriously", Paul mutters.

Both grinning, Henry and I don't even attempt to hold back our laughter.

As we park the front door opens and Joy walks out with another girl. I can't remember her name but I recognize her from PE class. The girl has an overnight bag and and a pillow that she puts in her trunk.

Paul gets out of the car, the noise causes them both to turn our way. He walks up saying something that makes them both laugh, he ruffles Joys hair like she's 5 instead of 15. She swats his hand away and gives a little punch to his arm. Paul continues to pesters her like only a sibling can do, but she smiles and shakes her head at him.

Paul makes it seem so easy, accepting Joy into the family. Growing up I thought we had the perfect family, turns out dad was just a perfect liar.

Dad told us at the beginning of the summer that we had a sister. He had cheated on our mother 15 years ago. He confessed that he was an idiot in his youth, that he they had been going thru a rough time in their marriage, but with counseling they got thru it. Mom knew of the affair and girl, it had taken time but she eventually forgave him. Mom was the person that encouraged him to reach out to his daughter and her mother.

I remember how the anger burned in my chest with every sentence of his confession. All I could think about was how my mom deserved better, better from her husband and life. Life wasn't fair to her, a few years earlier cancer invaded her body and we all had to witness her suffer, until it stole her from us.