18

Joy POV

Wednesday morning I woke up early, I was on auto pilot, making coffee as I called my dad.

"Hey sweetie, I was just about to call you."

"Too slow jo" I responded like the nerd I am.

"Me and the girls are really excited to see you, Faith and Jewel already have their bags packed."

"I'm excited too! I was going to go to the store today so I can make the girls a special breakfast, is there anything special you want me to make?"

"Sweetie you don't have to cook for us".

"I know, I want to. Plus faith told me about about the French toast kitchen fire."

We both laugh, the kitchen is not where my dad excels. "Ok then.... I miss your Eggplant Parmesan and homemade garlic bread." I smile because I already had that on my list.

"Sounds good"

"So tell me about school. How are your classes and the kids."

"The classes are good, not too hard but challenging all in the same. I really like my English teacher". You can tell she loves her job and literature by the way she teaches and the kindness she shows to her students.

"I made a few friends, remember the girl I told you about, Casey. Well, she came over and stayed the night on Saturday, she is really nice."

"That's good, will I get to meet her this weekend?"

"Yeah, and my friend, Ben. You'll love him, he is super funny and never stops talking. I invited them to come over Saturday night for dinner."

"Well I'm excited to meet them. I have to get off the phone but I will see you Friday. Love you".

"Love you dad". Hanging up the phone I sit in silence, staring out the window. It's so peaceful and the sun is just beginning to rise making the view gorgeous.

"Can I have some of that" a deep voice ask from right behind me me. I jump spilling some of my hot coffee. "Ouch ouch ouch" I turn and am surprised to see Henry looking concerned. "Henry you scared me" I walk to the sink to run cool water on my hand.

"I'm sorry, m you were on the phone when I came down and then you just looked so peaceful. I didn't mean to scare you."

"I can see his worried eyes looking down at my hand. Wanting to reassure him I turn off the water and smile.

"It's fine," I say raising my hand up in proof.

He reaches out gently taking my hand in his as he inspects it. Passing inspection he looks up and gives me the most handsome grin. Seriously swoon worthy. I let out a nervous laugh, pulling my hand back because honestly being so close to him makes my stomach flip.

Unlike Ben's short, bulky muscular frame, Henry is tall and lean. His sleeveless shirt shows of his defined arms and I can't help but stare at his right shoulder that is colored in tattoos. He always seems so serious and sad, but hides it by projecting a broody bad boy vibe. If he hadn't been nice to me at every encounter I would be intimidated.

Realizing I'm staring I quickly turn.
"I'm going to get us some coffee" I say turning quickly. I walk to the coffee pot, pouring him a mug and than I refill mine. He's sitting at the kitchen table as I place his cup in front of him. I hear him say thank you before I sit across the table. We sip our coffee in comfortable silence for a few minutes.