16

After a long week and a late night it was nice to sleep in and have no plans. I rolled over seeing that the clock already read 9:45 am. Sean and I stayed up late watching funny videos online, so I wasn't surprised that I slept in.

Still not ready to leave the comfort of my bed, I snuggled deeper into my pillow. I groaned when my phone beeped. I reluctantly grabbed it off the nightstand. It was a text from Max, instead of texting back I decided to call him.

"Hey Joy" his familiar voice made me smile.

"Hi, how was your week" I said thru a yawn.

Other than a few funny memes and quick text I hadn't talked to Max since Tuesday. He told me the girls had came over yesterday after school, we talked about both our school weeks, and I told him about having fun with Casey last night.

During the call I'd gone downstairs to get coffee, waving at David and Paul before returning back up to my room. I was still talking to Max when a knock sounded and before I could say come in David opened the door.

Holding up one finger, I signaled to David one to give me a minute. I wished Max bye, explaining I would call later.

Looking at David "Sorry, what's up"?

"Well we haven't seen each other much, I was wondering if I could take you out to lunch today?"
I wasn't my best self when it came to David, I was on the tip of my tongue to say 'who's fault is that', instead I said "sure".

About 45 minutes later I had showered, dressed, and we were on our way. The car was quiet and a little uncomfortable without my brothers as a buffer. This was the first time me and David had spent any real time alone.

Arriving at the restaurant we were quickly seated by the hostess.

"So how was your first week of school?"

"Good"

"I was a little surprised and proud when the boys said you were a junior. The classes aren't too hard are they?"

I wondered why he was proud, he had nothing to do with it. "No... first week. Most things are review".

The waiter came by getting our drink order and giving us rolls. I was hungry and grabbed one right away, also thankful for the distraction.

We talked a little bit about school and my classes. I could tell he was trying but the whole conversation felt forced. I was so relieved when our food came and we could just eat. After lunch David paid the bill and we left the restaurant.

Casey and Ben had texted me a little and when we got in the car I pulled out my phone texting them back. Ben kept sending me funny memes and I laughed out loud.

"What's so funny, David looked a little amused".

"Just a funny text my friend sent me".
"Oh....good, I'm glad your making friends" I nodded

"Your welcome to invite your friends over to the house, I would love to meet them".

"Really?" I smiled genuinely at him for the first time.

"Yeah, it's your house too. Your brothers are always inviting friends over. Have them over for pizza tonight, they are welcome to stay the night as well."

"Thanks. That we be great". I sent a quick text to Ben and Casey. Hoping they didn't already have plans tonight.

Feeling the car stop I was surprised when I looked up to see we were at a mall. Turning to David, he answered my unspoken question, "I thought you might want to pick out a few decorations for your room. You know make it your own".