Chapter 23//Real Life

August 3, 2020

"Meet me down by our hut as soon as you're ready," Parker read the text Charlie had just sent her out loud. She smiled widely at the text, sending one back letting him know she was almost ready. The blonde looked in the hotel bathroom mirror at her reflection, trying to see if there was anything else she should do with her makeup. Deciding it was perfect, she sighed nervously. "You got this."

While waiting for Parker, Charlie was pacing back and forth next to his dinner set up. He ran his hand through his hair, trying to calm himself down. After hiding his feelings from her for almost a year, today was the day he was finally going to tell her. A hug from behind pulled him away from his thoughts.

"Hi," Parker smiled up at Charlie once he spun around to face her.

"Hi," he breathed out. "You look incredible."

"You don't look too bad yourself, Gillespie," the girl teased, before noticing the set up that had been previously hidden behind her family's tiki hut. Parker gasped at the sight. "Did you do that?"

"Uh, yeah," Charlie scratched the back of his neck nervously. "It's not much, so it's okay if you don't like it."

"Charlie," Parker reached out to grab his free hand, stopping his rambling. "It's perfect."

The blonde dragged Charlie over towards the picnic blanket, quickly sitting down to look at his set up even closer. Charlie pulled two wine glasses out of the basket, alone with a bottle of wine, and poured him and the girl both a glass. All of their nervousness quickly went away as the two began eating, drinking, and talking as normal. An hour went by, and the sun began setting right as Charlie pulled out a plate of chocolate covered strawberries for dessert. "I would've made them myself but I didn't have time so I ran to the grocery store to buy these."

"Charlie, I love it," Parker laughed at the boy's admission. "This is one of the most incredible night's I've ever had."

"I'm glad," Charlie smiled, reaching out to grab her hand before she could take a chocolate strawberry. "Before we finish eating, I wanted to talk to you about something."

"What's up?" Parker looked at the boy, slightly concerned as well as nervous.

"Well, I wanted to talk about us," Charlie admitted, and Parker quickly looked down at her hands. She knew this could go one of two ways - either the girls were right and he was about to admit his feelings, or he had found out about her crush and was going to let her down. The girl was so preoccupied with her thoughts that she didn't notice Charlie reach into the picnic basket and pull out a bouquet of flowers until they were carefully placed in her lap, making her look up at him. "You know I've always been bad at talking about my feelings, but I've been working on getting all this off my chest for a while. You are the most special person to me, Park. You have been since the day we met, and I know you always will be. I love every second I spend with you. You're the nicest, funniest, most talented, and most beautiful girl I've ever met, and I'd be lying if I said I just saw you as a friend. The truth is I like you, Parker. I really, really like you. You make everything in my life so easy. My life is truly better with you in it. And I understand you probably don't feel the same, and that's okay. I just couldn't keep pretending like I didn't have all these feelings, and -"

Charlie's words were cut off by Parker's hands on the side of his face, and her lips being pressed against his, softly at first. Once the boy realized what was happened, he quickly placed a hand behind the girl's neck, pulling her closer. The two kissed until they knew they needed to pull away for air, smiling madly at one another once they did. "You talk too much."

"So, so this means -"

"Of course I like you too, Charlie," Parker admitted, putting her hand in his. "I may even love you. You are everything to me."

This time, Charlie was the one to pull Parker into a kiss, this one a bit longer than the other. When she pulled away from the kiss, he pulled her into his arms. "I love you too."

"Charles Gillespie, you will be the death of me," Parker sighed, smiling into his chest as he hugged her tight.

"So, would you like, wanna be my girlfriend?" Charlie asked, nervous once more despite knowing how she felt.

"Eh, I don't know," Parker smirked, feeling Charlie stiffen up and then begin to pull his body away from hers, breaking up their hug.

"Oh, I -"

"I'm kidding, idiot," Parker smacked him on the shoulder, making him turn back to her. She had a huge smile on her face, while Charlie looked dumbfounded, his smile slowly growing as she continued. "I would love to be your girlfriend."

"Yes!" Charlie cheered, causing Parker to laugh. He pulled her into a tight hug, peppering kissed all over her face, lips included. "I love you!"

"I love you too, Charlie."

Author's Note
THE MOMENT WE'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR
also the butterflies i had writing this lol i'm so lonely