7. Stressor

There you sat, at your desk, bouncing your knee anxiously, drinking your third cup of coffee this morning. And you still didn't feel awake. Today was going to be the day, the day when you would ask for Hawks to give you some time off.

Never in your life had you gotten so much work and responsibility before. It was really stressing you out. It didn't help that your mother was getting on your back as well, and your friends wanted to meet up again.

But right now, you didn't have time to do anything. Not even the normal stuff.  You normally got home past twelve, so if you wanted to do anything, like grocery shopping or taxes, you'd have to stay up even later to do it or wake up super early.

You were exhausted and barely got any sleep anymore. So, you were going to ask Hawks if you could take a mental health day. For normal jobs, you could just take them, but it was different when you worked for a hero agency. You had to ask your superior, which was now Hawks. It was a stupid rule, but you had to abide by it.

For some reason, Hawks was out on a mission. So you hadn't been able to see him in the morning like you normally did. Which made you even more nervous, and you constantly looked over at the door every few minutes or so to see if the winged hero had arrived yet.

You could feel yourself grow more and more impatient. Wasn't he fast? Why was it taking him so long?

After another twenty minutes, he finally arrived, looking a little more banged up than usual. His blonde hair was more matted than normal, his clothes a little worn and messy, his wings ruffled and his goggles having a small crack in them.

He seemed in a bad mood, his hero persona a little more shaky today. All the employees and workers rushed to see him. "Hawks are you alright? We should get you to a hospital."

"Oh, I'm fine. I just got into a little scuffle with a few villains, that's all. Nothing to be worried about." He said, waving them off. "(Y/n), cancel all my meetings for today, won't you?"

"Okay." Maybe this was your chance. Once you did as he asked, you took a deep breath and went towards his office.

"I wouldn't go in there if I were you." One of his secretaries, Akko told you as you reached the door. She was the same one who informed you about how he worked and the same one who was a jealous bitch to you. She was right about the work thing, so you guessed you should listen to her.

"It's rare for Hawks to get hurt, and even more rare for him to go into work after he does. The last time he did, it wasn't pretty. Someone even got fired." You swallowed thickly, moving your hand away from the doorknob of his office. The last thing you needed right now was to lose another job. You could do this some other day. You would be fine. Everything would be fine.

"Move, move!" Another one of his secretaries interrupted, pushing employees out of the way. "Hawks needs bandages, his arm is a little messed up."

She held up the medical supplies, and they all looked around at one another. "Someone needs to fix him up."

All eyes fell to you, and you felt your heart sink. Of course.

"That seems like his assistant's job. You would be the closest to him, after all." Akko said, clearing her throat. Yeah, now she wants you to be close with him, when he could fire you right on the spot.

"Fine." You sighed, taking the bandages from the other receptionist's hand, slowly entering the room.

You let out a small gasp, eyeing the little gash on Hawks' arm. He had his jacket sleeve rolled back, wincing at the still bleeding wound. It was strange to see him hurt like this, considering that you've never seen it before, his perfect pale skin now broken and bleeding.

You quickly went to his side, letting him rest his arm in your hand, and begin to clean off the wound. He winced at the disinfectant, his wings spreading in discomfort.

"Sorry." You apologized, wiping off the rest of his cut. You looked so cute and sweet like this, caring for him worriedly like a mother would for her child. Speaking of, you would make quite a good mother and an amazing wife. He couldn't wait until he-

"What happened?" You questioned, grabbing the bandages.

"I don't want to talk about it..There was this group of villains attacking this poor woman, and I knew I had to do something. Unfortunately, these guys were big and armed. I don't do too well with power types, but I was still able to take the rest out, but not before this last one got a few hits in." He admitted. He didn't seem angry at all. In fact, he seemed more approachable than usual.

"So..." You began, not knowing how to start what you were going to say. Immediately when you started speaking, you began to regret it. A lot. "Nevermind."

"No, wait what were you going to say? Tell me." He sat up a little more, looking you right in the eyes.

"I was um, thinking and, I was wondering if I could have a day off? I've been very stressed, and I was thinking I could get a mental health day and-" You suddenly stopped speaking when you saw the way Hawks was looking at you. You had never seen that look in his eyes, his golden hues burning into your (e/c) ones, his wings spreading around you intimidatingly, it was terrifying.

"Listen to me (y/n), and listen to me well. Do you think I get a day off when I'm feeling stressed or tired? Do you think I can ever rest? I know this may be hard, but I need your help. I can't do this without you. You know that, right?" You nodded, too tired to be aware of his manipulative tactics. A part of you knew what he was doing, while the other didn't.

"Maybe another day, but right now, we need you here. Okay?"

"O-okay."

(A/N: UGH FUCK HES SUCH A HOT MANIPULATIVE ASSHOLE DAMN

Also yuh sort of a filler chapter? Just buckle in for the next one, everyone. Things are going to get...intense

Thanks for reading! Don't forget to comment and vote!