53.

"Enough," he didn't snap or shouted in anger it was just one word spoken firmly and I think someone held their breath.

Tia tensed for a fraction of a second not submitting to the dominant tone. And for the first it she noticed Derek, her eyes flashing as she takes in his appearance. Ignoring the fact that he hand his hands around me.

"Oh come on, I was just getting started. We could turn this morning baby shower into a party and have some fun," she said seductively licking her lips.

"Oh really," he slowly lets me go showing her she has his attention now. Leaving my side he walks slowly towards her like he's stalking his prey, sizing it up.

"I can show you a good time, something we both will enjoy." She had no shame. Sammy gagged beside me coughing slut in her hand. Tia ignored the comment kept her eyes on the prize.

"What about him?" Derek asked talking about Josh not taking his eyes off of her while he did so.

"What about him?" She mimicked.

"Isn't he your boyfriend? What will he do knowing that you're inviting me to your bed?"

"Pssh forget about him, he's no one, I've got you now plus we're not together," she said waving her hand brushing Josh aside and not a moment ago she was all over him. Wow. And that was my best friend.

She wasn't like this or she was and hid this part from me. I knew that she likes men and the sex but this a while other leave.

"Is that so?" The space between the two was slowly disappearing until he was towering over her, his face a few inches from her.

"Yeah, I just wanted to get a reaction out of Rosie," she said in a daze, captured by his intense gaze and his velvet voice.

"Playing dirty," he ran the back of his finger against her cheek. Is this for show or for real? I trust him to not jump on what is happening right now. Sometimes what you see is not what it is but beyond that so I choose not to see but think beyond the situation. But why do I feel my chest squeezing tightly like someone is sitting on it and it's getting harder to breath?  "Your such a bad girl."

She was under his spell, clinging to his every word as he pulls her closer without touching her.

"The problem is," he grabbed her throat closing whatever inch remained. She gasped and everyone looked on with shock written all over their face seeing that his eyes went from flirty and lustful to dangerous in less than a second. "I don't like your kind. Josh might have trouble threatening you but I don't and I promise you if I ever see your face again, I'll wipe off your existence from the earth," he said it cool and calm pushing her away by the throat.

She was too focus on the shock and the dead refusal to catch her balance. She dropped to the floor embarrassingly rubbing her throat her eyes wide. She looked to Josh thinking that he might help her but he was looking any where but at her. She glared at me telling me this was all my fault promising me that she was going to make my life hell.

When she glance at Derek her eyes quickly changed from I'm going to kill you to pitiful but he didn't spare her with sympathy only with hatred and disgust. She flinch looking away her body tense.

"Now get out." She hurried got up from the floor scurrying until she's out the door. Silent descend on us after Tia disappeared.

"Now that's over with," Sammy said gaining everyone's attention. "Lets get back to the baby shower."

10 minutes later it was like nothing happened. There was no Tia, no drama but happiness all around the room. I started to clean up after everyone had left but Derek stopped me taking a hold of my hand before scolding me.

"I told you to rest," he said taking the cup out of my hand. "Do I have to bring in the doctor to put you on bed rest though the rest of your pregnancy?" He said raising his eyebrows.

I rolled my eyes, he can be such a mother hen. "Fine, but who's going to clean this up?"

"I will get maids for that."

"I can't let you do that not after throwing me this big shower. How much did it cost you? I'll pay you back."

"And I wouldn't be a good man or person if I let you clean in your condition, you need to rest now Rosie and you don't need to pay me, we're family now."

Family?

I haven't heard that word in a while now and coming from him it made me feel comfortable. But should I let it? We've only established this as friendship, with him taking care of me since I have no one else looking out for me. I can't thank him enough, I can only be grateful for all that he as done and all that he is going to do.

I don't think he's going to just let me go and I don't think I want him to let me go either if anything. Not after God as finally sent someone to save me, to love me without benefit, to not hurt me once I have no use and value in their life but to care for me abundantly, to show me that someone out there still cares. That I can let go and be free of my past, to know that I can let someone else in.

And so I didn't question why he thought we'd be a family and that this would be his family because it's all clear that he's attached to me and my unborn child. Proves that he loves us when he threatened Tia and choked her infront of a police officer. But I doubt Josh could do anything.

How lucky we both are. He has two father if Josh sticks around. I place my hand on his cheek and he leaned into my touch his hand coming up to hold mine in place.

"Thank you Derek," I smiled placing a kiss on his cheek. He matched my smile.

"Now go and don't let me catch you trying to clean, you should be going upstairs to your bed," he said turning serious.

The smile never left my face even when I closed my eyes to sleep.

The door to my room opened some hours in the night when the bathroom toilet was calling my name but I laid still evening out my breathing. He paused at the door before he started walking forward stopping at the foot of my bed. I know he tipped toed to my side afriad that he might wake me because I didn't hear him move but only the dip of the bed told me that he had moved.

He was sitting on the bed his hand now rubbing down my hair as he sighed. Minutes have passed with him still sitting on the bed beside me in the room.

"I love you," he confessed to a dark room to someone he thought was sleeping. "Both of you, and I promise I won't let anything hurt you or the baby," he added.

I willed myself to keep fake sleeping afriad to break the act, I wasn't ready to face those words or him and what it meant. I wasn't afriad of his confession, I'm not ready.

He kissed my forehead and I sighed. I wanted to slap myself but he thought I was sighing in my sleep because of his comforting kiss. He sat there for a minute more before he left closing the door softly behind him.

Suddenly, behind my closed eyelids the future seemed so clear even if it's not certain I know I have someone.

My son and I won't be alone.