The Beginning of the End

"I see," said Dippet with a frown, though it was mostly hidden behind his long, white beard.

"If you need anyone to talk to, I'll be here to lend an ear," said Dippet as he shot Tom and Hermione a sympathetic look.

Tom found the headmaster to be rather irksome but he was glad that he was on their side. He had the feeling that things were only going to get rougher from here on out. He needed to find a way to make things right. Or atleast easier for Hermione. She had already lost so much and Tom really didn't want to add another painful story to her future.

There was one thing he could do to hopefully help the situation, though he wasn't thrilled to do it.

Tom put a hand on Hermione's shoulder. "I have something I need to take care of. I'll be leaving first." He leaned down and pressed a chaste kiss to her forehead.

Dippet didn't even bother masking his gleeful expression. The old man made it quite obvious what the future of his granddaughter should look like and Tom was the main character.

"'Kay." Hermione placed her hand over his briefly before turning her attention back to Dippet. Tom backed away from where Hermione was sitting before leaving the headmaster's room.

Once the door was closed behind him, he pulled his wand out and activated the snake on his upper arm. He knew that Abraxas wouldn't show up but as long as the others did then everything would be fine, until his followers heard what he had to say.

Tom placed his hands in to the pockets of his slacks then began the trek to the Room of Requirement.

"That's one look of determination."

Tom reined in his thoughts and his surroundings came into focus. Standing a few yards in front of him was Fleamont.

"Good, I need all the determination I can muster," admitted Tom.

"What for?" asked Fleamont.

Tom released a silent sigh of relief. It seemed as if Fleamont had decided to keep things between them the same. "Would you like to accompany me to find out for yourself?"

Fleamont raised a questioning eyebrow. "Does it involve torture?" Tom shook his head. "Sure," said Fleamont with a grin. Tom chuckled, already imagining how his followers will react to the Gryffindor. "I'm not foolishly following the lion to it's den, am I?"

"Snake," corrected Tom.

"Doesn't make me feel any better," admitted Fleamont.

Before long, the two of them reached the wall for the Room of Requirement. Tom paced back-and-forth three times before the ornate door appeared.

The gathered Slytherins fell silent when their lord entered. He heard Fleamont snort from behind him at the looks of shock on everyone's faces. Tom barely managed to silence his own chuckle.

"Did you recruit a Gryffindor?" asked one of the third years. Fleamont pulled a face causing a chuckle to escape from Tom's lips. The shocked looks his followers wore grew.

"No, Fleamont is my witness to tonight's events."

Fleamont cleared his throat. "What exactly am I witnessing?" Tom understood his concern. Things did look rather ominous from an outsider's point-of-view.

"You will be witnessing the end of the reign of Lord Voldemort." Startled sighs and complaints rose from those gathered. Fleamont turned toward him with his own startled expression. Tom raised a hand, silencing the Slytherins. "I have decided that in the best interest for my-our future, Lord Voldemort and these meetings will cease to exist."

"What about our plans!"

"What of the future!"

"What will happen with all of our hard work!"

"It's the Gryffindor's fault!"

"Hey!" Grumbled Fleamont, "I didn't do anything."

"They're not talking about you. They are referring to Hermione," Tom told him. He turned a steely gaze onto the rest of the group. In a loud, commanding tone, he continued to address the group. "No one is to blame other than myself. No one's hard work is being wasted. We will continue on with our goals, not as a lord and his followers but as individuals with a common interest. If we continue with what we are doing now, it will only cause destruction and harm to those who get caught in the crossfire. After tonight, if we wish to continue on with our goals-our dreams, we will do so on our own and without threat to those around us. This marks the end of the Knights of Walpurgis." His knights of Walpurgis anyways. If Hermione was right, he will be living in the far future while a copy lives the life of Tom Riddle during this time. But for now, he will make things as worry free as he can for Hermione, Abraxas, and Fleamont.

"That is all I wanted to say. If you have something to say, complain amongst yourselves." He grabbed Fleamont by the arm and hauled him to the door. Chaos erupted from behind them. Quiet enveloped them once they left the Room of Requirement.

"That was definitely something to bear witness to," said Fleamont in a breathy sigh.

"Don't go falling for me," joked Tom. He was pleased that things turned out as well as they had. He was also pleased that he had ran into Fleamont.

Fleamont placed his hands over his heart, "too late."

"Knock it off." Tom turned serious with his next request. "Could you relay tonight's meeting to Abraxas. I hope this eases his worry to some extent."

"Sure thing."

That was one problem out of the way. Now, hopefully, nothing else will rise up.