The Return

Hermione found herself back in the courtyard of her own time. The unforgettable scene was just as she remembered. Bile rose in her throat.

She pushed her way through the crowd. Familiar faces from long ago surrounded her. Tears sprang to her eyes. Fear swept through her. Everything was the same as before, before she left for the past. Nothing had changed.

The familiar robes of professor Mcgonagall came into view. Standing not far from the professor was Ron and her. It was an odd sight to see her past self.

She watched as the past Hermione looked down at something in her hand. Within a few seconds, past Hermione disappeared.

Hermione looked around and found that no one had noticed the disappearance. She took that chance to scoot up to stand beside Ron. She took in the scene in front of her and felt her heart fall. Everything was the same.

"Harry!" Hermione heard Ginny scream from somewhere in the crowd.

"Harry!" Hermione screamed in a broken sob. It was true, nothing had changed. She lost Harry not once but twice.

She couldn't bring herself to look upon Lord Voldemort, knowing that she had been so completely, utterly wrong. She didn't just lose Harry but also Tom.

To avoid looking at the snake-like monster that now stood before her, she placed her gaze on poor Hagrid who was crying over the limp form of Harry.

"Silence!" cried Voldemort, and there was a bang and a flash of bright light. Silence fell upon those gathered there. "It is over! Set him down Hagrid, at my feet, where he belongs!" It was strange to hear Lord Voldemort speak Hagrid's name because when Hermione knew him as Tom, he always referred to Hagrid as a big oaf.

Hagrid did as he was told and gently laid Harry down at Voldemort's feet. Voldemort began pacing back and forth. "You see? Harry Potter is dead! Do you understand now, deluded ones? He was nothing, ever, but a boy who relied on others to sacrifice themselves for him!"

"He beat you!" Ron yelled from beside her. The silence broke from around her as everyone began shouting once again. A second, more powerful bang extinguished their voices once more.

"He was killed while trying to sneak out of the castle grounds," said Voldemort, and there was a relish in his voice for the lie. "Killed while trying to save himself-" Neville cut him off as he rushed forward with his wand raised. Voldemort shot off an attack spell and disarmed Neville as the kid fell to the ground.

Hermione's heart sunk at seeing her friend in pain but there was no way that could be of help. Voldemort threw away Neville's wand with a laugh.

"And who is this?" Voldemort said in his soft snake's hiss. "Who has volunteered to demonstrate what happens to those who continue to fight when the battle is lost?"

"It is Neville Longbottom, my lord!" Said Bellatrix with a delighted laugh. "The boy who has been giving the Carrows so much trouble! The son of the Aurors, remember?"

"Ah, yes, I remember," said Voldemort, looking down at Neville, who was struggling back to his feet, unarmed and unprotected, standing in the no-man's land between the survivors and the Death Eaters. "But you are a pureblood, aren't you, my brave boy?" Voldemort asked Neville, who stood facing him, his empty hands curled in fists.

"So what if I am?" said Neville loudly.

"You show spirit and bravery, and you come from noble stock." Hermione felt the blood in her veins freeze with his words. How could Voldemort change that much? Was she the reason for why he reverted back to his old self?

Voldemort continued making his appeal to Neville. "You will make a very valuable Death Eater. We need your kind, Neville Longbottom."

"I'll join you when hell freezes over," said Neville. "Dumbledore's Army!" he shouted, and there was an answering cheer from the crowd, whom Voldemort's Silencing Charms seemed unable to hold.