Tom's Resolve

Tom woke with a smile. The previous night's events spurred some interesting dreams that left Tom wanting more. The new school year started up again in two weeks. In two weeks he would become the cold, emotionless, goal-driven person he was. But during those two weeks, he would allow himself to act like every other boy his age.

He slid out of bed and decided to change the old fashion way, no magic. He wanted to take his time with getting ready. He wanted to make Hermione panic and wait for his presence for breakfast. Tom remembered eavesdropping in on a conversation Abraxas had with some Ravenclaw and how a small amount of absence drive women crazy with want. Tom paid no mind to the voice in the back of his head. It wanted him to stay away from Hermione and find a way to fix himself. He would have plenty of time to fix whatever was wrong with him after summer vacation.

Tom looked in the mirror. His hair was a sprawling mess of curls. Maybe a little bit of magic wouldn't hurt, he wouldn't even need to use his wand. With a simple, wandless, wordless spell, his hair was the normal, neat style that he preferred. Tom glanced at his pocket watch and decided that he had taken long enough.

Much to his disappointment, Hermione was nowhere to be seen.

"Tom, how was the party last night?" Dippet asked as a way of greeting.

Tom took his seat to Dippet's left. "Good. Has Hermione been down yet?"

Dippet tried to hide his chuckle with a bite of porridge. "I assume she is still asleep. You two arrived back late."

Tom felt his eyes widen with Dippet's admission. The old wanker was there! What did he hear? Wasn't he supposed to be out drinking with the fool, Slughorn?

"Ugh." Hermione stumbled into the dining room. Her hair was a wild mess and she was rubbing her temples. "I'm never drinking again." She plopped down across from Tom.

"Are you alright?" asked Dippet.

"My head is killing me," complained Hermione.

"You shouldn't have drunk so much then." Hermione shot him a blood-shot glare. "You look terrible." Tom made a mental not to himself to never allow Hermione to drink alcohol even at social events.

"I feel terrible," moaned Hermione.

Dippet clapped his hands together. Dillie apparated in with a loud pop eliciting a groan out of Hermione. "Master called for Dillie?"

Dippet smiled kindly at the creature. "Dillie, can you grab a potion from my storeroom to help Hermione with her headache." Dillie enthusiastically nodded her head before apparating away. A few seconds later, she arrived back with a loud pop.

"Please, stop doing that," groaned Hermione, her head laying on the table.

"Here, Mistress. This will help." Dillie handed a dark green potion to Hermione who gratefully took it.

Hermione tilted her head back and downed the potion. "Yuck!"

Dippet laughed. "The taste is something to be acquired but it works wonders." He snapped his fingers and the dishes in front of him disappeared. "I have to leave for the Wizengamot. Will you be fine without me?"

Tom was quick to answer, "I'll watch her." Dippet nodded before apparating out. Dillie laid a small hand on Hermione's shoulder before she left. It was just him and Hermione in the dining room.

"Why do you keep staring at me?"

"Are you feeling any better?" Tom didn't have to fake his concern. He felt like he was always concerned when it came to this particular witch.