Secrets Shared

A shadow fell over Hermione blocking her light. She looked up from her reading material to find Tom standing in front of her. There goes them avoiding each other for the past week. Hermione wasn't exactly sure as to why Tom was avoiding her but she could guess. It would probably be similar to the reason why she was avoiding him.

Last week they had gone to a masquerade party hosted by Tom's paternal grandparents where she promptly got drunk. Unfortunately, that led to her kissing him. It was a low point for her, though, she couldn't actually remember everything that had happened. It didn't matter if she remembered or not, the fact that she kissed Tom Riddle was enough to make her come to her senses. Which was why she had decided to avoid him.

Tom's breathing was ragged as if he had just finished practice. His usually immaculate hair was messy and windblown making Hermione's fingers itch with want. His stormy green eyes held an emotion in them that she could not read.

"You're blocking my light," said Hermione as she attempted to bring her focus back to the book opened on her lap.

"He did it," said Tom. A triumphant smile broke out over his face. "Dumbledore defeated Grindewald."

The news didn't fill Hermione with joy. It was an event that she was expecting. She read all about the rise and fall of Grindewald during her own time. "You're not excited," commented Tom with a frown. "I thought you would be excited to hear of the defeat of your family's murderer."

Crap.

Hermione looked up to Tom with a frown. "It brings me great joy in knowing that Grindewald will no longer be able to harm others but, my family's tormentor and murderer is still out there."

"That snake-like beast," said Tom as if remembering the Boggart from the woods. It felt like it happened a lifetime ago, not just a few months. Hermione nodded her head at his assumption. Tom's hands curled into fists and his knuckles turned white. "I promise, that thing will never be able to hurt you again," vowed Tom.

Hermione felt immense relief that he bought her answer. "Thank you," said Hermione in a quiet whisper. She couldn't believe that she just said those words to Tom Riddle! In an attempt to hide the blush that threatened to rise to her cheeks, she buried her nose back into her book.

Tom made no attempt to leave. "Why are you still here?" asked Hermione in exasperation. Him being that close to her was slowly breaking away her resolve. Something she vowed to herself to not let happen.

"Why have you been avoiding me?"

Hermione's head whipped up to face a puzzled looking Tom. Why would he even ask her that?

He continued to stare at her, waiting for an answer. It was becoming difficult for her to focus or to even think with him staring at her like that. "I did something stupid," sighed Hermione in defeat.

"I highly doubt that," snorted Tom.

Hermione's anger bubbled to the surface. How dare he so easily dismiss her words, not believing in them! She jumped up from her seat so that she was closer to eye level with the annoying prick. "I kissed you. I'd call that doing something stupid."

Tom quirked an eyebrow. "You kissed me?"

Hermione stumbled in her thoughts. Did she just imagine kissing him? She was so sure that she remembered kissing Tom. Could it have been a dream? A drunken hallucination? "Did I not kiss you?" Her voice shook with uncertainty. "I remember nothing of that night except for the feel of lips against mine."

"So, you assumed that you kissed me. How would that be considered doing something stupid on your part?" His words sounded almost angry to her ears. Angry and. . . hurt?