All Hope is Lost

The cloaked figure glided up the stairs. Screams and curses flung around him. He maneuvered around the countless battles taking place around him, careful not to be hit with a stray spell.

He tightened his grip on the Invisibility Cloak that he wore. It would do no good to be spotted before it was time.

Signs of a struggle up a head reached him. If memory serves, this was the battle that he was looking for.

Up ahead of him were two Death Eaters. Their opponents were two gangly redheads and behind them were   three younger students, another gangly redhead, a boy with black hair and glasses, and a girl with brown curly hair that resembled that of a lion's mane. Soon, everything will fall into place.

One of the Death Eaters shot off a spell. It hit the wall, causing the wall and parts of the ceiling to crumble, scattering the group.

The cloaked figure quickly made his way to the people. He shot off two rapid fire killing curses at the immobile Death Eaters before making his way to a fallen redhead.

"Fred, wake up." The stranger shook the Weasley boy awake.

"Who's there!" Fred demanded as he blindly searched for his wand.

The cloaked stranger revealed his face to the scared boy. "You!" Fred shouted hoarsely.

"Me," the man laughed. "Fred, would you like to play one last joke?"

"Now? Are you out of your bloody mind! We're in the middle of a war!"

Grunts and moans sounded around them. It looked as if time was almost up. The stranger pulled out a potion bottle from a hidden pocket. He waved it in front of the trouble maker. "You sure? Take this and I'll guarantee that your family will survive."

"How're you gonna do that?" Fred questioned.

The stranger sighed. He should have known this wouldn't be easy. He shoved the potion at the boy. "It's Dumbledore's will. Now take the bloody drink and I promise you'll pull a prank like never before on your mother."

"On mum?" A devious smile came to Fred's lips. "Got yourself a deal." The boy chugged the potion down in one gulp. "What does it-" Fred Weasly fell silent. His eyes stared unseeing up at the ceiling. To the world, the boy appeared to be dead. The only sign that the boy's spirit had not left the world was the smile splayed on his lips.

The stranger pulled the cloak back up around him. His task was completed. It was now time to return before he was missed.

. . . .

Hermione looked out of the crumbling window of Hogwarts. Neville had informed her and Ron that Harry had slipped out of the castle.

Jeers and laughter broke the quiet mourning of those in Hogwarts. Voldemort's army parted the trees and came into sight. The snake-like figure of Voldemort slithered forward, passing Hagrid and the body that he carried.

Hermione had a sinking feeling that she knew whose body that was. They were confirmed by Voldemort's steady maniacal voice laced with growing happiness.

"Harry Potter is dead. He was killed as he ran away, trying to save himself while you lay down your lives for him. We bring you his body for proof that your hero is gone.

"The battle is won. You have lost half of your fighters. My Death Eaters outnumber you, and The Boy Who Lived is finished. There must be no more war. Anyone who continues to resist, man, woman, or child, will be slaughtered, as will every member of their family. Come out of the castle now, kneel before me, and you shall be spared. Your parents and children, your brothers and sisters will live and be forgiven, and you will join me in the new world we shall build together."