Hermione's Secret

Tom woke up the next morning with the taste of mint in his mouth. He rolled onto his back and cushioned his head with an arm. A smile came to his lips as he remembered last night's events.

He had kissed Hermione. She had kissed him back. His smile grew into a full blown grin.

Getting out of bed, he quickly changed. As quietly as possible, he opened his door then crept over to Hermione's. He wondered if she would kiss him or hit him when he snuck in. She would probably hit him though he was hoping for a kiss.

He cracked open the door and got ready to pounce on the bed. The bed was empty. Casting a quick charm, he found that he was alone in the dorm. A smirk formed on his lips. Time for a game of cat and mouse.

. . . .

A shadow fell over her.

Hermione turned to the side to find that the shadow belonged to Fleamont. "Hey," she greeted him. She wondered if he was upset with her for last night. She did love him but wasn't in love with him. Fleamont was just a really good friend who connected her to Harry.

Fleamont grinned and sat down beside her. At least he wasn't taking her rejection hard. Maybe that was a good sign.

"Quit staring at me like that. I know I'm good looking but you'll get people talking. Starting rumors that we definitely don't want," winked Fleamont.

Hermione blushed and looked away. She hadn't realized that she had been staring. She cleared her throat, unsure of how to approach him. "Ho-how are you holding up?"

Fleamont gave her a funny look before recognition flashed through his eyes. He smiled a big, lopsided grin that lightened her heart. "You don't have to tiptoe around my feelings. I'll admit, I did like you but I prefer you as a friend." Hermione felt her eyebrows furrowing together, unable to hide her puzzlement. It seemed as if he was right, that she didn't need to tiptoe around him. He seemed perfectly fine to her. Fleamont drew her gaze to him with a snort. He wore a smug expression that bordered on amusement.

"Am I amusing to you?" growled Hermione.

Fleamont shook his head. "Not at all. No, actually that was a lie. I find you very amusing." Hermione decided to give into her urge and smacked him on the arm. This only caused Fleamont to break into another goofy grin. "Riddle is going to have his luck cut out with you."

"Tom," squeaked Hermione. Images of her body pressed up against a wall and Tom's lips on hers flooded her mind. "Wha-what do you me-mean by that?" Blast it! Why was her voice so squeaky?

Fleamont quirked an eyebrow at her, probably noticing her growing blush. A wolfish grin morphed his features replacing the quizzical look that he wore. "You told him!" Fleamont smacked the table with his hand.

"Shh!" hissed Hermione as she looked at her peers who were glancing their way unquestioningly. "I did no such thing and besides, why are you so curious about my business with Tom? Didn't you like me yesterday?"

Fleamont shook his head, the grin still on his face. "So, he confessed first." Hermione clamped her mouth shut, afraid that Fleamont would be able to figure everything out. "And. . .to answer your questions," he tapped a finger to his lip as if he needed to think of the answers to her questions. "I'll start by saying this. I do like you but not that way. You are a great dame to look at and you're bloody brilliant so when Riddle approached me the other day, he made it seem as if you were into me." Tom approached Fleamont about her? She was going to kill him! Fleamont chuckled, bringing her out of her inner raging. "Don't be mad at him. I can't believe I'm saying this but he's a great guy. You better not make him wait long."